Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev Counter Reading

Beagler

That's interesting.

Where are you taking the signal to the Timorn instrument?

What setting do you have the on the Timorn instrument? That might be "Number of cylinders".

Does your Seven have four cylinders and does it have a wasted spark ignition system?

And which ECU?

And does that ratio between the two instruments hold across the rev range?

Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan I will try and answer some of your questions.

The car is a four cyl sigma tuned fro 270s to 310s and ecu upgraded but the cat was bought from Catterham Gatwick and was their car. It had always read high from purchasing it and its obvious it doesnt Idle at 1150 rpm as indicated. Queried it with Caterham and they said it was reading a bit high but I didnt persue then.

The Timon is reading correct and the induction wire is taken from  the plug lead. 

• Area Representative

What does it matter if the tacho over reads a little?

My (2002) tacho seems to over read by around 400rpm throughout the Rev range. (When I compare what it says compared to what my data logger and shift lights suggest at high rpm, and online to my DTA ECU at idle)

but why does it matter if the numbers are not that accurate? Surely it's there to give an idea rather than accurate numbers.

I seriously doubt a new Caterham tacho will be any different.

Before you consider a replacement (at £250+ ?), I would suggest that you record readings (gauge vs measuring instrument) for several speeds (say, 2K, 3K, 4K, 5K), plot them on a graph, and send it to Caerbont Technical Support (technical@caigauge.com), along with the Caerbont and CC part numbers from the back of the gauge.  If you explain what your problem is, I'm sure they'll advise on the best course of action.

JV

Reply from Caerbont:

"Is it the same model of ECU as originally fitted as this gauge and software goes back to 2006 and has not been changed.

The calibration is fixed so cannot be changed. It is set to read 4000 rpm at 33.66Hz"

I will do a calibration check at other points. 

• Leadership Team

33.66Hz is 2019.6 pulses per minute, which would relate to 4039.2 rpm (4 stroke engine) so 4000 would be fairly close, albeit slightly under reading.  
Surely this would suggest that a rev counter reading high is therefore out of calibration?

#3 ...its obvious it doesnt Idle at 1150 rpm as indicated.

In fact, that reading is more like 1300, which is even more inaccurate.

If indeed the calibration is fixed (as stated in #18), it looks as though your only option is to add a little (paper?) overlay around the perimeter of the gauge to show actual rpm -- apart from just living with it, of course!

Question for the electronics gurus: can the pulse frequency be modified in any way -- with a special circuit, fo example?

JV

• Area Representative

Reply from Caerbont:

"Is it the same model of ECU as originally fitted as this gauge and software goes back to 2006 and has not been changed.

The calibration is fixed so cannot be changed. It is set to read 4000 rpm at 33.66Hz"

That's interesting....

For reference, that is different to earlier cars. My 2002 K series cars tacho is (roughly) calibrated to work with 2 pulses per rev (from the MEMS ECU), so 4000rpm is 133.33Hz. 

• Area Representative

Question for the electronics gurus: can the pulse frequency be modified in any way -- with a special circuit, fo example?

JV

John. Yes it could, and using pretty cheap hardware. However, you'd then need to program it. My home made shift lights are based around a programmable Arduino board (about a fiver from china). My shift light code measures the frequency of the tacho signal and illuminates LEDs at preset values. The Arduino could be programmed to drive an output from a programmable signal generator having applied whatever factor you wish to apply deliver a different frequency to the input frequency. 

However, in the OPs application, why would you bother......

#24:  Thanks, Richard.

However, in the OPs application, why would you bother......

Well, yes.  But some folks like their instruments to be super accurate if at all possible.  For example, I've been known to recalibrate my speedo to within tenths of a % just because I can.

JV