Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev limiter

Terry Field

1999 is EU2 so may be different, but the EU3 certainly had a limiter. When you say "missed a gear" did you rev it in neutral, or did you put it into 3rd instead of 5th, or something similar. You will still over-rev the engine if that happens, limiter or not, but that said I did it several times (with some scary numbers in the ACES memory) but it never did any obvious harm.

• Area Representative

Looking at my old catalogues it seems the 1.8 and 1.6 Supersports both had maximum rpm of 7600 with shift light warning at 7400. SLR max rpm 8000 with shift light warning at 7750. No mention of max revs for non supersport or VVC but I seem to recall they had a rev limiter but no shift light. 

Stephen, I have the same problem!

I revved it hard in neutral, although I caught it before it got too high, but it just raised the question in my mind.

Why will the limiter not work when the car is in neutral? I fitted an after market limiter in my old XFlow, and that certainly worked in neutral.

#9 Paul, there is no shift light.

#7 Thanks John, but I am not going down that route - way beyond my pay grade! 

Thanks for all,the comments.

• Area Representative

Terry. I think the shift light was only fitted to supersport versions. Also I don't think blipping the throttle in neutral will test the rev limiter. The limiter simply cuts the spark. I'm sure that you can blip the throttle and momentum will take it over the rev limit despite the spark cutting. In the same manner that you can over rev the engine by changing into a lower gear too early.

#16 to be pedantic, acceleration has no momentum.  The rate you reduce the force is the rate that acceleration decreases.

The effect of revs going higher "at the limit" will be due to the capabilities of the rev limiter to reduce the force (from the bangs) to zero at the right point quickly enough.  I think that most limiters are very good at that, although some employ a soft cutting regime.