Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Springs

JeWe

Car is a roadsport 140 with wide track front suspension and Bilstein dampers with adjustable platforms. Springs are Eibach 77843.

I am trying to make the car more compliant for our bumpy roads as it is a daily and covers about 8000 miles a year. Can anybody advise me if there are softer/progressive front springs and if this is an improvement.

The front springs you have fitted are deemed the race springs and rated at 250lbs, as per the Caterhamparts website, these are usually fine on the roads and are often fitted to stop the car bottoming on compression, I use them on my VX engined car and find them fine.

Do you know what the rears part numbers are? as normally they are progressive springs, part number 71198.

A person you could talk to is the ubiquitous Simon Rogers at Meteor Motorsport, he can advise you, ( and sell you all manner of upgrades if you let your guard down!) lol

Spoke to Simon, unfortunately the budget does allow his shiny upgrades just yet...

The VX engine is much heavier than the Sigma, this should make a difference in spring rates required. As mentioned I am looking for more compliance not outright track performance.

• Area Representative

Standard front springs are normally 150lbs/in. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks who have a set having "upgraded" to stiffer springs.

If you're after a more compliant ride, I'd try a set of softer springs. However, you may also need a set of spring retainers, as the 150 springs are 1.9" ID, where the 250's are 2.25".

I've just received a full set from Protech - single adjustable with spherical bearings.  I re-used my front springs as I had just fitted them before the car went off the road and on testing they were considered to be fine.  Anyway, the springs are relatively cheap.  Had I replaced all springs the total cost all-in would have been just shy of £700.  Can't wait to fit them...

20230112_115004.thumb.jpg.69886d1eca18f23ee67aad04cf8c0e2c.jpg

Tazio that's a terrible thing to say about me*rofl*

From what you are describing road use wise and car weight I would get a set of 200lb front springs.  Progressive rear.

we can get that sorted - well the guys at the shop can as I am lucky enough to be in Daytona working for 2 weeks.  Check out the FB feed for all the info.

we can even probably make it work with springs that could be fitted to a new set of dampers in the future thereby saving some future cost/redundancy.

we have our own progressive rear Eibach sorins made for us.

However the cheapest way would be to find some used Caterham springs and swap.  The front will be as Richard said @150lb which is a little soft for my liking.  Or just mix.  Get some. 200lb fronts new and regular Caterham progressive rears.

Hope that helps.

Tazio that's a terrible thing to say about me*rofl*

From what you are describing road use wise and car weight I would get a set of 200lb front springs.  Progressive rear.

we can get that sorted - well the guys at the shop can as I am lucky enough to be in Daytona working for 2 weeks.  Check out the FB feed for all the info.

we can even probably make it work with springs that could be fitted to a new set of dampers in the future thereby saving some future cost/redundancy.

we have our own progressive rear Eibach sorins made for us.

However the cheapest way would be to find some used Caterham springs and swap.  The front will be as Richard said @150lb which is a little soft for my liking.  Or just mix.  Get some. 200lb fronts new and regular Caterham progressive rears.

Hope that helps.