Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Waterless Coolant

CWilson184

Hi All,

Does anyone have any experience of running waterless coolant in their Caterham? I have a couple of pinhole leaks in my radiator (I'm told this is common from red coolant corroding the aluminum) and am looking at alternatives to stop this from becoming a regular occurrence. I use my car for trackdays and sprinting if it makes any difference.

I came across Evans Coolant and it looks like it ticks all the boxes but before I go down that route I thought I would see if anyone has experience of using it. Evans Waterless Coolant

Thanks,

Charlie

Never seen any evidence that the pinholes are caused by anything other than poor welding. My radiator had a couple of pinholes repaired when it was brand new from CC, after I'd given up getting them exchanged (it was the third with leaks from new).

It's been fine in the 8 years since with Comma G30 Red coolant, no sign of any corrosion at all. 

"If you don’t want to deal with the hassle of traditional antifreeze or coolant, Evans and other manufacturers offer an alternative worth considering."

This would seem to be one of the most relevant statements and prompts me to ask "What hassle?"

The modern Ford engines in 7s don't give any cooling 'hassle' IME, unless you count issues arising from CC's design and engineering issues which would still be a factor with WC. 

Why would you use WC in an engine designed for traditional coolants on which it runs perfectly well, all things being equal?

"I have a couple of pinhole leaks in my radiator (I'm told this is common from red coolant corroding the aluminum) and am looking at alternatives to stop this from becoming a regular occurrence."

There's a vast amount on this in the archives, unfortunately scattered across multiple threads.

IIUC most of the problems have been with failures other than pinholes, and especially from what look like fatigue failures. It's widely recommended to remove as much mechanical stress on the radiator as possible by adjusting and enlarging the bracket apertures, packing the mounts with washers, and fettling hoses. 

One manufacturer of aluminium radiators does recommend a coolant type which is different from what Caterham and the engine manufacturer recommend. I have never understood how it's possible to know that the type of coolant has contributed to the radiator failures.

Jonathan

"It's widely recommended to remove as much mechanical stress on the radiator as possible by adjusting and enlarging the bracket apertures, packing the mounts with washers, and fettling hoses."

I stand to be corrected but that is unlikely to apply to the OP's car, which I think is a 2016 Sigma, so before CC started to mess about with radiator changes that have caused issues in recent years. 

I completely rebuilt my Lotus Europa S1 and decided to go with Evan's coolant as Iwasstartingfrom a clean slate.  I had persistent coolant weeps that no amount of hose tightening would cure.  I flushed the system and switched to the blue stuff used in MBs, BMWs, Volvos, etc.  All my problems went away.  YMMV

I'm thinking it might be worth a try if you have issues with cooling that it might address. Otherwise, I can't see the point. 

I do wonder why, if it's as good as Evans would have us think, there's isn't a manufacturer using it OE or recommending it. Cost? Surely outweighed by the longevity, extra protection, environmental benefits claimed?

"I do wonder why, if it's as good as Evans would have us think, there's isn't a manufacturer using it OE or recommending it. Cost? Surely outweighed by the longevity, extra protection, environmental benefits claimed?"

One manufacturer has used it. The exact nature of what was claimed is discussed in the other thread.

IIRC that was before the decision of the Advertising Standards Authority and the consequent rewording of Evans' promotional material. 

But apart from that I agree it's a very good question. 

Shirley

When you say RED coolant what type are you using...? OAT...?

The colour is not a good indicator of the type as there is no standardisation in colours.

I use OAT coolant in this car and previous Duratec and K series car with no issues,

Pinholes are usually down to poor construction, fractures could be installation issue, stress vibration etc

As Jonathan Kay writes, Some manufacturers are using Evans like coolants: Mazda is using a long life coolant, able to stand 200.000 km or 11 years for the MX5 NC (FL22 engine). This coolant can't be mixed with another one (like Evans).