nic.day

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi all

I have been following this thread with interest.  

I have been using a wired Autocom unit with a pair of Optime IIs that I built about 15 years ago.  My wife and I go on long (2 weeks plus) camping trips round Europe, and being wired is essential as there are limited options at campsites for charging batteries.  (Our phones are charged by USB in the car).  The setup has worked really well all this time.

Autocom.jpg.c87b59490940f870857016286dd2a0c2.jpg

However the boom mikes have now started playing up, especially in damp conditions, and I want to replace them.

Does anyone know if Autocom have gone out of business ? The numbers I have for them dont work and the website looks old.

Assuming they have gone and I cannot get spares then are there recommendations for a wired intercom installation ?  I just need driver / passenger comms, no satnav / radio / music.

Many thanks

Angus

Had this morning the opportunity to check the STIHL System at a local shop. The shop owner told us, that they are based on a Sena Headset and are actually produced by Sena.

The owner was not a fan of SENA nor STIHL. He was clearly a fan of the 3M Peltor LiteCom Pro or Sordin Share - w/ 3x the price tag, not a surprise - he was insisting that the mic quality is not good enough in a noisy environment on the SENA headsets. He offered me a week to test the 3M/Sordins once the winter brake for the Seven is over. *teacher* 

When we tested them inside, the headsets had quite some delay in transmitting voice (couple of words missing, before reaching to the other set) and we had to speak very loud to get something across.

@7up - Does the mic on your particular STIHL headset pick-up voice quickly & w/o screaming?

In reply to JR9470:

Yes thats the mic sensitivity setting, controlled by the phone app. I cant remember how many settings there are 3 or 5, anyway we played around with those and got it perfect for both the Mrs and I (she speaks softly, I tend to boom...).

Hi,

I bought a pair of the Sthl ProCom's from here : mowers2g For £281 each Inc. VAT. They are indeed based on Sena which becomes apparent when you use the app (Sena logo is visible).

Playing with them indoors I find the mic settings a little tricky. You can set the sensitivity level of the mic to automatically transmit when the mic detects noise above a certain threshold - which is fine. But that means a sharp background noise will trigger the mic - noticed this when putting my coffee mug down a bit sharpish on the counter. So I'm not sure this setting would work well in the noisy environment of a 7.

The alternative method is the set the mic to MUTE and then use the Push To Talk button on the side of the headset. This works really well although of course it means you have to take your hand off the wheel.

Music sounds great - but I use Spotify which can't be streamed to two headsets at the same time. The way round this is to pair each headset with the wearers own phone over Bluetooth and then start a Spotify Session between the phones. This also means only the driver gets the SatNav instructions.

Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post my experience of Salessbs, as posted by SLR No. 77 - Stu (post #54).

The ebay shop didnt have quite what I thought I needed, so I sent a message.  Within a few hours I had a call from Mike Stevenson, who runs the shop.  What a knowledgeable guy !  Really helpful, went out of his way to get me sorted.  He explained that the Autocom microphones dont like damp conditions, and gradually corrode and degrade.  He could sell me the parts, or he would repair the headphone units for me.  Given that the units are my 15 year old homebrew ones, that is one amazing service !  He would also fit longer headphone leads, to fix the problem of the connectors fouling on the shoulder strap buckles.

I didnt fancy the fiddly soldering that would be required, so I sent them off last week, and I got them back yesterday.  Kate and I went out for a test run today, and they work perfectly !  In fact I think better than the originals, as I can move the microphone about 1cm from my lips, whereas before it had to be almost touching.  And very reasonably priced.

So 10 out of 10 for an absolutely fabulous service.  Mike is thoroughly recommended, so those of you with Intercom problems, Mike Stevenson is your man.

Angus

I thought I would post my experience of Salessbs, as posted by SLR No. 77 - Stu (post #54).

The ebay shop didnt have quite what I thought I needed, so I sent a message.  Within a few hours I had a call from Mike Stevenson, who runs the shop.  What a knowledgeable guy !  Really helpful, went out of his way to get me sorted.  He explained that the Autocom microphones dont like damp conditions, and gradually corrode and degrade.  He could sell me the parts, or he would repair the headphone units for me.  Given that the units are my 15 year old homebrew ones, that is one amazing service !  He would also fit longer headphone leads, to fix the problem of the connectors fouling on the shoulder strap buckles.

I didnt fancy the fiddly soldering that would be required, so I sent them off last week, and I got them back yesterday.  Kate and I went out for a test run today, and they work perfectly !  In fact I think better than the originals, as I can move the microphone about 1cm from my lips, whereas before it had to be almost touching.  And very reasonably priced.

So 10 out of 10 for an absolutely fabulous service.  Mike is thoroughly recommended, so those of you with Intercom problems, Mike Stevenson is your man.

Angus