Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Car won't start! Help needed.

Dan sigma 140

"When you flick the ignition aero switch you can hear the usual whirring for a couple of seconds which I think is the fuel pump, also the speedo and rev needles jump slightly (all normal for the car), you then press the starter and nothing happens at all! "

Are you still getting a click when you press the starter switch?

Jonathan

Break in the thin cable to the solenoid on the starter, inside the insulation. Unplug it from the small spade terminal on the starter and get another bit of cable, crimp a female connector on one end. Connect it to this terminal. Car in neutral, ignition on. Touch the other end on to the + terminal on the battery. Expect a  spark, but hold it firmly. If it cranks, there was your problem.

Re #26:

When you flick the ignition aero switch you can hear the usual whirring for a couple of seconds which I think is the fuel pump, also the speedo and rev needles jump slightly (all normal for the car), you then press the starter and nothing happens at all! 

I'm not familiar with Sigma cars, but on my 2008 Duratec those symptoms would suggest the immobiliser isn't disarming. 

Does the ignition warning light fail to come on when you try to start?
Do you have a black fob (transponder) on your key ring? 
Is there wiring wrapped around the ignition key barrel? 

If so, try waving the fob next to the ignition key barrel, then try starting.

(Edited to make things clearer!)

JV 

if you have the black fob look around the steering colomn for the ariel just don form here is a small white 2 pin connector that connects the circular aerial to the immobilser loom - these are prone to vibrate the terminals loose unplug and gentle ease the pins so the contact when you reconnect. if this cures it cut the plug ot later and solder the wires.

Re #33:  I've just tried all this out on my R400D -- which of course may not apply to your Sigma!

I removed the black fob from my key ring, and then switched the ignition on.  The fuel pump primed (two-second whirring sound) and the immobiliser light started flashing very quickly.  The ignition warning light remained off, and pressing the starter button had no effect.

When I then waved the fob next to the wiring around the ignition key barrel (aka the aerial), the ignition warning light came on and the immobiliser light began to flash much more slowly.  Pressing the starter button ran the starter.

Hope this helps!

JV   

I'm home! It turns out that it was an immobilser issue. I was reading and trying everything that people were suggesting when I read John's reply, so I thought why not I will give it another go.....and it worked! I sort of gave it an extra rub against the wires! My car didn't come with an immobilser fitted, but I had one fitted and used a guy that was suggested by Nick potter. The wiring is hidden in a different place to most other cars. I will give the guy a call tomorrow as it was only fitted at the start of the year.

Thanks to everyone, it's great have such a fantastic community on here!