Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Can we talk about batteries ....

SLR No.77

Jonathan, this is the battery I have

https://jackwebbmotorsport.co.uk/JWM-PS-12-LiFePO4-BATTERY-BUNDLE-p250876921?fbclid=IwAR3voQFKn1yrXGnxW528ShCjXMzbrzy5UlmSB-Bb0UgUTi4o0iBs_pefKps

I have no problems with it other than I have to remember to connect the CTEK before the 2 week period of none-use of the car otherwise the immobiliser runs it down to a stage where the Low Voltage Protector activates and shuts the battery down to prevent complete discharge and permanent damage.  Jack has suggested a battery negative lead isolation switch that would be easier to install, which I am considering. 

On the plus side, I haven't tested this yet, I am told that if the battery is disconnected over winter it will not discharge so it does not require a trickle charger / conditioner and I would be saving electricity.

I have refurbished and modified my old battery tray so that if needs be I can easily bolt it back in place to accommodate the Banner, would you believe that Caterham used 12 rivets to secure the battery tray to the engine bay. whoever fitted it must have decided to use all the rivets he had left *biggrin*

David

Just got my replacement Banner from Tayna delivered today.

One question on the battery front - my current (old) Banner does not have a vent pipe fitted and neither does the replacement.  Not been a problem in the 3500 miles of use I've done in the car so far, but If I remember correctly, the Banner on my last 7 did have a vent pipe.

Is the vent pipe really necessary?

• Leadership Team

Ben, I received my new Banner the morning we were heading to Scotland so didn't have time to fit a vent tube, there doesn't appear to have been any ill effects without it.  I've ordered one since returning though, search eBay for 'Banner battery vent tube', they're only a few £s.

Stu.

On the subject of the banner battery vent, I recently replaced mine, the battery vent pipe is on the left side on my old battery and the tube has been zip tied to the chassis, the new battery came with the right side open as the vent and the left side plugged. The tube wouldn't reach, I removed the plug from the left side and the hole looked identical to the open "vent" hole so I put the tube in there and plugged the right hole. It's been that way for a few weeks, but I have since read that sometimes you can't switch the vent holes on the banner? Does anyone know for sure?

• Leadership Team

Banner FAQs

"If in your case, the side of the degassing opening is unsuitable, the white plug can be removed, but must then be reinserted on the other side in the degasification duct (in order to prevent the escape of oxyhydrogen gas)."

"In order to remove the plug, please use a wood screw with a diameter of approx. 5 mm. There is no need for concern, as the plug cannot be pushed into the battery."

• 7 months later...

Just an update regarding my JWM PS-12-LiFePO4- L-ion BATTERY-

It just about lasts 2 weeks if the car isn't used and even my CTEK charger for lithium batteries will not charge it unless I disconnect the battery cables first.  My Banner would last 4 weeks.  When I bought the battery, Jack Webb said that if I disconnected the battery negative cable it would not require a trickle charger over winter and would hold it's charge.  Well I disconnected the cable at the end of October 2022 and I have just reconnected it today and pleased to report that the engine fired up immediately so no drain at all after disconnection for 6 months.

David