Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Puncture repairs?

The Shermanator.

The truth is that they can be repaired in most areas but outside of the defined %age of the section width central band a repair would need a reinforced patch and only on tyres up to V speed rating  

That assumes there has been no consequential damage from the injury and the tyre should be removed for a full inspection prior to repair.

Eg a 225 tyre, is a minor repair on the central 70% of the section.  70% = 168.75mm so a minor, rubber only repair is OK within 84mm of the centre line, outside that a reinforced repair, subject to the tyre being otherwise sound.

Up to 155 section the %age is 60%, 155-200 is 65%.  

Plugged how, Benton? From the outside? If so then it's outside of the applicable standard and considered a temporary repair. 

I carry temporary repair kits in all my cars but I would only use them as a get home method. You never really know if there's any internal damage. Having said that I've had two punctures (Not in 7) in the past year or so and both were picked up by TPMS, allowing me to get home and repair them properly. Never used the temp kits! 

Mushroom shaped plugs from the inside are the best way to repair minor injuries. 

It was fixed by a reputable tyre place, that I've used on a number of occasions for different cars over the years. I'd even taken a new tyre along as I'd assumed it wasn't repairable. I didn't question how it was repaired as I assume they know what they were doing.  That was my old car, over three years ago,  which by now has had at least two more owners, and one assumes some new tyres!