Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VHPD – whining sound

Nick Bassett

• Area Representative

My trusty SLR has recently developed a whining sound (not from the cockpit!!), not unlike a supercharger (I’ve checked – cannot find one!!) and I’m wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue?

Oil pressure (mech pressure gauge) is high and steady and engine still pulls like a train. Winter 2018/19 I removed the gold pump and had it rebuilt by Titan as precautionary maintenance and it’s been fine since refitting and probably only covered c. 6k mileage.

Forget to mention before - cambelt changed 2 years ago, but can't remember if the tensioner was changed at that time. Definitely no rubbing or chaffing happening there as I have removed the belt cover. Water pump also appears quiet and has no leaks.

The alternator is newish and I’ve disconnected it and run the car for a short time without it and the whining noise is still there! So it can only be either the gold DS pump that has a dodgy bearing fitted or the DS belt tensioner bearing that is on the way out – this is original and is the next focus for me. The car lives a charmed life really – oil & filter change annually and only driven on the road and never abused – warmed up properly etc…

You can hear the sound in this short video clip:

Finally – anything else I should be considering?

Thanks

Nick

• Area Representative

Cambelt has been changed in the last 2 years or so and have removed the cover to check for chaffing etc... all good. Not sure about tensioner, but probably worth checking I guess.

Water-pump also changed 2 years ago and I'm certain it's coming from that area.

• Area Representative

SM25T - thanks. I have tried that and the gold DS oil pump is a bit noisy, but I don't what it was like before, so have no point of comparison!

I wonder (hope) it's the DS belt tensioner as I'm pretty sure it's never been changed. That would be a straight-forward, relatively cheap fix. I'm really hoping it's not the gold DS pump as that was refreshed fairly recently as surely shouldn't be playing up so soon?

Probably one of the greatest war films ever made.  There was a cinema release that was only movie length, but the full 5-6 mini series is the one to watch.  Like Downfall, so much the better for being in German and not dubbed, and not telling the story from the allied side. Not as fruitful for Memes though as Downfall *rofl* 

• Area Representative

Hmmmm... some interesting points - thanks.

It does sound like a belt, which could only mean either the cambelt or the DS belt - both were renewed in the last 4 years with minimal mileage since. I had disconnected the alternator, so that can be eliminated. 

The sound seems to be coming more from the gold pump side of the engine, but difficult to be certain.One other point - sometimes the sound is louder than other times - weird!

If it is an over-tightened belt, to RJ's point, why should that start to happen now? Could the cambelt tensioner be on the way out... could that cause a tightening of the belt?

Next steps:

1. Remove DS belt tensioner and renew - this I believe to be an original part so could probably do with renewing anyway.

2. If point 1 doesn't fix the issue, my trusty Caterham technician Alex has offered to have a look.

Any other thoughts welcome of course - thanks!