Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starting engine after standing

Eriedor

Remove the plugs, disconnect the fuel pump (unplug inertia switch ?) And crank the engine until you see oil pressure registered.  Then refit plugs, connect switch and start engine. Look for leaks to ensure all ok.

Be wary of overheating starter motor. A pause for a few seconds will help heat dissipation and wont lose much oil pressure so you can continue till pressure comes up. You may be able to see oil on cams through oil filler with a torch.

There is no difference to leaving an engine stood for 3 or more months with oil in the engine, there will still be sufficient residual oil film to protect the critical areas once the sump has been refilled and fired straight up.

If its running DS even better as the pressure pump will have oil to the pump prior to starting, 

Thats one view. *whistle*

After the Morgan I bought a new MX5. When restarting after winter I removed plugs and fuel injection relay and cranked engine till oil pressure came up. Rather listen to Radio 4 than empty hydraulic cam followers/tappets rattling..

If I've completely rebuilt an engine (so all oilways will be empty and dry, lifters probably deflated, but everything assembled with proper assembly lube) I will always crank it for oil pressure with the plugs out and crank sensor off. Sometimes it takes an absolute age for the pump to start to draw oil up with no pressure showing, but once it does the pressure rises very quickly. If it does take a long time then yes you need to be mindful of overheating the starter motor. The assembly lube will protect it during this process but I'd rather keep the loads on things relatively low until I've got proper lubricant supply.

But ...

If it's my own car (K Series VVC) and it's been left standing over the winter, I never bother with any of that. As others have said, even if the oil has "drained down" the pressure registers almost immediately, as though the engine was run only yesterday.

So long as the oil pump rotors are well wetted with oil it seems to seal the pump well enough to make it draw oil up from the sump very rapidly.

And if it's like a K, you'll get rattly lifters for a while whichever way you do it. If it's been sitting for several months with at least one set of valves on each cam on lift (there always is), those lifters will have leaked down and partially deflated. Even if you crank for oil pressure, they can run like a dog for a short time until the lifters settle again. On a K you often also see the opposite problem if the engine has been stripped. As you remove the cams the lifters expand on their internal springs and can draw in a gulp of oil, leaving them unable to allow the valve to close. So long as the valve isn't sitting far enough off its seat to cause clearance issues, again a minute or two of running will settle it but it's a bit alarming to find it running on two or three cylinders when first fired up.

There's some great advice in this thread. I'll throw in my two pennies:   With my K VHPD+ Emerald.  I leave the Immobiliser switched on and crank the engine until I see good pressure. After a winter lay up and in British spring climate,  this can be 3-6 seconds. Once you see decent pressure register, turn off the Immobiliser and begin ignition. 

I understand that the reason to remove the plugs after a lay up is to reduce compression ratio and therefore remove loading on the bearings, but in my personal opinion this is not needed if you believe you have oil film present, which you should have, even after a complete re-build as you would "hand oil" each bearing during assembly.

Now if someone can tell me how to predict when I need to replace my main bearings without an intervention - that would be fantastic. 

Rgds

Rob   

Great discussion here. Mine is a K series and I think I'll do the pressure pre load by cranking with inertia switch off or immobiliser on as it's not a normal lay up, the engine has been drained of oil for the last 3 months and was standing for ~4 months prior to that. I'm not in a rush so would rather take the time to do it properly.