Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator woes again!

Tony Leigh

My 9 month old Caterham built 420 has just had its radiator replaced by CC under warranty.  I'd been monitoring it closely, having read this and other similar threads, and thought I'd got away with it, but it started leaking from both sides at just under 6000 miles.

CC asked no questions once I said it was a radiator problem, and just booked it into their first available workshop slot.

It appeared that the leaks were where the matrix tubes entered the side tanks, so I'm wondering if the mounting arrangement is too tight horizontally, leading to the tubes expanding into the immovable side tanks when hot and breaking their seal. Perhaps slackening off the bolts and elongating the bracket holes on one side and allowing the radiator to expand horizontally as a whole might lessen the chance of another leak?

MattB

Thanks for adding that experience.

I don't think that anyone has previously suggested thermal expansion of an otherwise well-fitting radiator as the cause of failure. That's a very interesting idea.

Did you ever check the fit in the brackets and the mechanical load from the hoses?

Jonathan

I note that the old design had much longer bobbins.  These are the ones on my 2008 R400D:

Radiatorandfan_2c.jpg.b8f815dadf69f28f2a00bfb52355dbdc.jpg 

I don't know what effect (if any) that would have, but yours do seem quite short and squashed.  Also, presumably your mounting bolts pass right through the bobbins?  I could see that being a conduit for vibration.

JV

Re #36:

Yes, I think you're right, but (according to the Assembly Guide) with one stud and one female thread:

Latest420radmounts_AG_Duratec_2.1.jpg.37920e6bfcd498a7597b12b7f8b51452.jpg  

This looks like the bobbin in question.

The description suggests that it was originally intended for the 485 exhaust, so using it as a rad mount looks like a bit of a bodge.  I think it could do with a lot more rubber.

JV

1 stud and 1 female is OK, plenty of rubber mounts like that. It's effectively the same as one with 2 studs, you still have the separated rigid mounts. 

I agree that these mounts might benefit from a bigger rubber mount though I'm still far from convinced this just a vibration issue.

#26, I've also just had a new rad fitted under warranty on my 17 month old 420R, I noticed it leaking from the top 3 tubes above the top hose, looked a bit like bottom picture at #30. Mileage when first noticed was around 3500, the service manager told me that it's a manufacturing problem and nothing to do with fitting.