Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ever wanted to drive the Nordschleife in your Cat?

mph

That's a great initiative. I'm in.

I was in the DN track day the same day as you, and agree, the driving standards were great, very respectful and quite safe. However only your Caterham and mine where there, so I fully support initiatives like these to have more cars alike in the Ring.

It's true that DN "does not accept novices but just experienced track day drivers", which helps on the driving standards side, but limits those who want to have the first experience in the Ring. Anyhow I have nothing but positives to say about Darren and their operation.

The other great option is RSR, who as well provides tuition. I'd say they are the "masters" of the Ring in terms of organizing events, providing tuition and even rentals. Maybe I am biased because I know them and use their services in the Ring and Spa, but in any case it is another option to consider in case the dates offered by DN doe not work. And both organizers get along well and support each other.

So yes, count on me for this (hopefully the dates will work) and will be happy to drive from Switzerland as I usually do.

Thank you very much again for the initiative.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think the "exit corner, check your mirrors for radicals, move to the right if on a straight, don't dive the inside, don't go round the outside" that we all learn pretty quickly on trackdays is worth much much more than having done 1000 laps on a computer game. I have zero interest in TF

I'd REALLY like to do Spa and Nurburgring and Bilsterberg, but Bilsterberg really would require a trailer (which isn't impossible).

• 2 months later...

Just to give people a flavour of when we might be looking at going, 2023 dates are likely to be announced soon.

In 2022, Destination Nürburgring had the following dates:

• 9 May
  • 11 & 12 July
  • 19 & 20 Sep

Circuit days had the following dates:

• 19 & 20 Apr
  • 22 July
  • 14 Oct

• 2 weeks later...

Dates for Circuitdays have been announced.

https://circuit-days.co.uk/nurburgring

I wanted to do spa at the same week but it looks like the only dates that would work are October and it feels like that would be a rough time of year both for Spa and the ring.

https://weather-and-climate.com/average-monthly-precipitation-Rainfall,nurburg-rhineland-palatinate-de,Germany

looking at this, may and october aren't actually bad dates. just depends on things drying out...

And DNevents too. I have booked.

So, I will be heading to the Nords for DNevents' Friday May 5th 2023 event. I have also booked onto the track walk the evening before (I missed it this year and really want to do it).

If you're interested in coming along too, book yourself on the DNevents session and drop a note back here in the thread. I will drive over, and if others are interested I don't mind 'herding the cats' — sharing routes, hotels, etc. You will be responsible for booking everything yourself, but I don't have a problem with information sharing, and if we end up driving over together, navigating. The only thing I want to avoid is being a hotel booker for everybody, because it's a lot of responsibility I don't want to take on (being candid *rofl* )

The price has gone up 100 quid since last year *mad* Mind, everything has gone up. The hotel I use is up 30% on 2022 prices, and it's probably best we don't discuss petrol prices eh. I spent ages last night trying to weigh up doing the Hull to Rotterdam ferry (at 700 flippin' quid) versus driving from Yorkshire to the Chunnel for a meagre 484 quid fare. Still haven't decided on that one.

The DNevent Nords day is so well organised that yes, I'm sticking with what I know. They have a very good reputation. Plus I have friends who go every year.

Sell a few more pedal mods John! Should cover the difference for a quality outing *rotate*

I've booked the GT3 Hotel for the 4th and 5th. I may yet do a blat down t' Alps or Dolomites afterwards. Will see about that.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't thought about the route, properly, yet John. I was contemplating a split of some camping (weather pending in May *rofl* ) and the odd reasonably priced hotel. I'm not working at the moment, so would like to be a little price sensitive. 

As a possibly comical aside - when I had my car mapped I said "it must run on ordinary fuel". There's no way I'm permanently feeding the Cat super *rofl*

Me and Mark have discovered that the Bilster Berg has a trackday on the tuessday before the DN date so we're going to go there. it is NOT cheap (€595 using the code "CATERHAM" ) but the track makes Cadwell look like silverstone.

on top of that the drive between the two  places looks stunning

roads

so we're doing that. it's 1000 miles in total for me, a lot of it just to get across holland but it looks to be worth it.

I'll be taking the tunnel probably monday - saturday

It is a great plan and I'd love to join you. But unfortunately I have not enough days to do so.

I was about to drive it last year but I had the same issue: lack of time. Then it is the fact that Bilsterberg is almost 4 hrs away from the ring, so it was a bit too much to do in the time I had available.

So I'll have to stick to the Ring only and meet you there, hoping to join you in Bilsterberg next time.

Have fun!

• 3 months later...

Just a bit more than two weeks to go and we'll meet in the Ring.

I was in Cheste (Valencia) this last weekend and got the track day season started for me. I can't wait to see you in Germany and have fun in the Green Hell.*driving*

See you there soon.