Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Road Angels, new style at daft price (again)

Julian Thompson

I spoke to Blackspot and they confirmed that you can add the laser alert to existing Road Angels. Also there has been a software upgrade which now gives a different tone for "blackspots" to differentiate them from cameras. I think the upgrade is approx £20.

*arrowright* *arrowright*Harry Flatters *arrowright* *arrowright* *thumbup*

AKA Steve Mell of Su77on Se7ens and Joint AO - Surrey

Thanks Julian, I got the Road Angle today & it works fine (tested on the audi). I couldn't see an obvious place to put the device in the 7. Where do others put them? Also will I need the ear piece in the 7.

The thing I was really pleased about, was that I can hook it up to my laptop and use it as a GPS. Great. 😬

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

Edited by - Rupe on 10 Apr 2003 00:21:31

I've badgered Blackspot about the RA's peculiar GPS baudrate. Their stock answer is to use Infomap Navigator, which is admittedly much better for route finding than Autoroute - has all the sat nav niceties such as direction arrows and route dication.

The newly released firmware for these devices does however allow you to use it with Autoroute. £20 admin charge for upgrading existing units, and adds the tone & volume settings plus the ability to read your current grid location to assist emergency services.

Arnie,

This is what they say on their site

"Can I output the GPS signal from the Road Angel? - Yes, the Road Angel is NMEA compatible and communicates at 9600-baud rate. This means that it can be used with some Route Mapping software for Satellite Navigation. We recommend using InfoMap™ from Directions Limited. www.directions.ltd.uk. NB: The Road Angel is NOT compatible with Microsoft Autoroute™. Please note that we can only provide technical support for the Road Angel."

Ian

I just did a London, Devon, London trip attaching the unit to its mount and attaching it to the most left hand part of the wind screen. I could hear the unit even at a ton up. I am not sure I would have heard it at 7k revs but each time it went off I was at 5.5K or less.

I thought it was interesting how inaccurate the speedo was.

indicated 70 actual 64

indicated 76 actual 70

indicated 80 actual 74

indicated 100 actual 97

Julian

Cheers for the info. I will fit the heater and then see what I think.

Cheers Rupe

Click here p21 to see pics of my 7 on a Sri Lankan beach *cool*

Ahh, I'm mounting mine on the tunnel under the dash so not so easy to hear.

Mind you I haven't got the firmware update yet so not sure if this will increase the volume or just allow you to attenuate it.

Ian - MI 5EVN - Slightly Vider 😬

Looking at the postings on this, is the general opinion that the Road Angel is better that the radar detectors also available. Presumably, the average motorway patrol office with a speed gun can still get you with the Rd Angel, where as the detector would pick this up, albeit that you will have a few more false alerts?

Comments from users please?

Yes Rob, but the new Road Angel also has Laser Alert, which will alert you if the bobby concerned is equipped with a "shoot to kill" laser device.

The main problem with Snoopers etc (radar detectors) is their propensity to false alarm. Most annoying.

RA is a great product.

But I've not got any more at a great price at the moment ☹️

But I'm working on it *smile*

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - slightly barmy Saturday in the shop.

One guy walked in and ordered 3 road angels straight off, which combined with several others we needed for trade customers takes us up to order threshold again with so far I think 3 to spare when the delivery comes in on Tuesday.

If anyone is unsure where they stand or wants to order one please call on Monday.

Cheers

Jue,

• 2 weeks later...