Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1994 X/Flow Alternator

A7 OOH

When my last alternator failed, my local electrical factor sold me a A127 style one. It had a couple of advantages:
There is very little plastic at the end near the exhaust pipe.
It has a standard Lucas connector.
It also has a threaded post for the "Battery Connection(s)"
It was not expensive ~ £60.
As I have had problems with the standard individual spade terminals working loose in the past, I changed the main heavy duty wires to ring terminals and used the threaded post. (I kept the ignition connection in a standard Lucas connector).
Here is a link to an example https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/908/category/168

Ian

Fitted in 2015.
The hole for the adjusting strap was not threaded, so I replaced the hex head screw with a longer bolt and nut. (funnily enough the spare I bought at the same time seems to have a threaded hole - would need to check whether the thread is the same). It's a while ago, I may have needed to space the adjusting strap with a washer to ensure alignment - I can't remember.

I chose to change to ring terminals for the B+ connection as the 25 year old spade connectors were past their best, a bit corroded and were causing a voltage drop between the alternator and the wiring behind the dash.

I think you can get different Amp versions. The one I linked to may be more amps than mine. (I can't find any rating on it) My apologies, now I look at the receipt it says A460 - though the linked alternator does say it replaces the A460.

This is very apt! My ignition light comes on when the engine is switched off. I believe that this may be a problem with my alternator. I am going to confirm tomorrow - once I do a voltage test. So, I may also be looking for an alternator for a 1994 xflow. Unfortunately, I am based in Jersey. So any suggestions useful. 

Thanks Graham

If only you had posted your message earlier, I have sorted myself out with a new unit which is now fitted.

I am just up the road in Silloth, can you do spares as my old unit works fine it just has a damage plastic end cover.

Gordon

Gordon - sorry I wasn't quicker with my post. I only get on the pc sporadically at the moment and had only just read your thread! Anyway, glad you got it sorted. I don't "do spares" as such, just have shelves full of parts from my Vauxhall-engined cars!

Good to come across another Sevener in the same part of the world...!

Graham.