Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What gearbox oil and how much - 5-speed Quaife straight-cut gears in a Type 9 box

gileshudson

• Area Representative

Morning chaps and chapesses,

I have a 1996 HPC Caterham, with my C20XE engine pushing about 200bhp now, but aiming for nearer 250bhp soon.
It currently has the standard 5-speed Ford Type-9 gearbox fitted.

I have acquired another 5-speed Ford Type 9 gearbox, but this one is fitted with a Quaife straight-cut gearset.
It’s being refurbed currently and will be installed on Easter weekend.

What oil should I run it with (and what volume) for optimum performance - tempered with as much quietness - as I can get?  

Please advise, so I can get it bought and ready… I can't wait…
Many thanks in anticipation

As there are no synchros to worry about Steve Perks was a bit unfussed as to the type of oil

I use Red Line lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil 2021 – Opie describe it as 72w-90 and 2 ltrs is sufficient. Depending on the age of the casting you will need either 1.1 (?) or 1.5 ltrs

Hi Giles.

If you search the Quaife website there is a Technical support page which gives info on oil type for various products.

https://www.quaife.co.uk/customer-service/technical-support/

I was interested in this problem as I also have a Quaife QBE15Z, which is leaking profusely from the bell housing / gearbox face, so it is being removed to install a new seal and gasket.

I shall possibly use the FuchTitan SYN 5 75W-90, in both the gearbox and the ATB, especially as this oil is readily available here in NZ.

Have fun, these are not quiet 'boxes, but a more musical noise than the previous gearbox I had.

Regards Nigel.  

I have a 5-speed Ford Type 9 gearbox with a Quaife close ratio straight-cut synchro gear set and a 200hp Cosworth BD. I have tried several different gear lubricants and found Red Line Fully Synthetic MTL works great. Been using it for about 10 years. Fill it up until the lubricant runs out the side fill hole.

Changing gears at low RPM is okay, but since this is a performance gearbox its much smoother at 4,000rpm and higher.