Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Apollo Drain when doing the oil change

PEC

Dear All,

I have an Apollo tank on my 1.6 k series engine and intend to drain the engine for an oil change.

Is it absolutely necessary to drain the Apollo in addition to unscrewing the sump plug? I was asking this because I have the impression that the sump plug was lower than the drain plug of the Apollo and that gravity could nicely do the job of emptying the full 7.5 litres.

I would like to avoid having to open the Apollo because I won't be getting any assistance in holding the body of the Apollo untwisted while I try to unscrew the apparently very reluctant plug at the bottom of it.

I will still change the oil filter anyway!

Many thanks

Its the pipe connection height on the apollo that stops all the oil coming out.

Some people use a pela pump after removing the aeroquip hose connector on the top. Others unclamp the tank and tip it up a bit.

I never used to bother as there is always residual oil in the engine and it gets changed at low annual mileages.

I wouldn't bother. The two times I've completely removed my Apollo tank on the 1.6k there has been hardly anything in it. The first time half a mug full and second time about the same amount of oil as milk you'd put in a cuppa. Compare that to the 6.5 litres of fresh oil you're likely to be putting in and it's largely insignificant. 

• Area Representative

Use a pump to remove the oil from the Apollo via the hole where the braided breather hose is attached. There's a suitable one on offer at Aldi for £15. Alternatively this is similar https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362727341851?hash=item54743bff1b:g:YAEAAOSwNlxdVZII

IME it depends if you have a one way valve in the breather pipe at the top to hold oil in the apollo to reduce the time taken for oil to circulate at start up. (Which in itself maybe hogwash). 

If you do I would recommend draining it as there will be a up to a couple of litres in there which will dilute the new oil. If not it will have all drained into the lower sump and, but for a very little, drain from there. 

• 2 weeks later...