Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser advice required

Temple Cloud

I have a 1995 Super Sprint. It has an immobiliser and two key fobs. On each fob there are two buttons, one that has a pattern on it and a lower one which is smooth. I've changed batteries on both.

In the car's parked state the dash lights flash quickly at about 5/second. I would have thought an armed state would be around 1 or 2/sec but I'm not used to these ones. Anyway, most of the time when I press the top (patterned) button for about 3 secs the light goes out and the car starts fine. However, sometimes when I press the button even for 10 secs or longer bugger all happens, the lights continue to flash quickly and I can't get any action when I turn the key to try to start. Then all of a sudden when I press the button as normal the light goes out. This morning it took a good five minutes to get any joy at all and I can't find out anything about this immobiliser what so ever.

Hence my need of help because the last thing I want is to drive somewhere and then not be able to get the car started. Like a few other people have experienced I have found.

Yet another little niggle that Caterham really should have dealt with by now....

BTW, the fob has a Vecta sticker on it

So, any advice would be great....thanks

Tazio said I always remove the ignition barrels and immobilisers, I cannot be arsed with all the faffing about, or losing my keys.

or negating that problem that I am sure everyone has suffered at one time, strapping-in only to realise the keys are still in your pocket!

Temple,

As another option to Williams, I'm not sure where you are, but do consider Millwoods at Dursley, Jon Vickers there is one of the really good guys, and Eric his mechanic, is quite gifted with the spanners, they offer a very personal service. 

I've removed a Vecta in the past, and it was just the simply task of unpicking all of the leads from the unit, as most didn't do anything, they were just to confuse any potential thief.

Alan

A wise decision temple.....I spent a few hours in a French garage unpicking wires as Tazio says. It was then necessary to remake the ignition feed. The French garage owner was very impressed but not half as impressed as I was!

Thanks for the suggestion and I've thought about going to Millwoods and will do at some stage. It's just I know Williams a bit already and it was a test drive of one of their cars that nailed my decision to buy one. Not from them as it happens. But they came across as really nice people. prior to that I'd also come across them when I had a 911 and the local porker club met up there. They put on a great day for us and I was impressed. That said their service department may be rubbish of course lol. But I'll give them the opportunity to shine first.

My next thought on the immobiliser front is not to remove it but to see if I can replace the need for the fob controller with a simple switch under the dash. This would allow me to use the immobiliser but without the faffing about with the fob. I don't know enough about the system to know if that's doable...

...do consider Millwoods at Dursley, Jon Vickers there is one of the really good guys, and Eric his mechanic, is quite gifted with the spanners, they offer a very personal service. 

Absolutely agree.  I bought my R400D kit from Jon, and Eric does all the annual servicing.  Impeccable!

JV