Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear drum brakes - live axle

Cat2017

Evening all 

I've replaced both rear wheel brake cylinders, fitted new shoes, new pistons, seals and pads to front.   Full bleed with new DOT4 using pressurised ezebleed but the rear brakes are not registering on the brake test rollers at mot station.  The brake peddle doesn't feel that great - lots of travel.  Less than a handful of miles on the new brakes. 

There is some pressure there as I can't rotate drums with break peddle fully depressed.  

There is no fluid leaks.

Only part I didn't service was the master cylinder  - Girling 74660152.  Could this be the issue?

Thanks 

Neal

PS Parking break not not doing much either, despite adjustments made!

I have a 1985 live axle car that I've rebuilt as a covid project, more than ably assisted by Mr Wrightpayne of this parish. I have what's termed an open pedal box, the master cylinder is a triangular affair, originally off a Vauxhall Viva I think, it has 3 outles, one to each of the front brakes, and a separate one that feeds the rear. I had mine refurbished at a company called Past Parts Ltd,, Unit 4, Chase Road, Northern Way Industrial Estate, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolf IP32 6NT. Telephone 01284 750729, email restore@pastparts.co.uk

Alan

One problem with an ageing master cylinder is the seal on the recuperating valve wears and there is not enough fluid recharged to pressurise the system adequately. If the mastercylinder is aged just replace it and your ok for several years more.

Did you bleed the rear brake line at the point where the hydraulic brake light switch is fitted, if you have this set up, this is about the highest point in the rear brake circuit, apart from the pipe from the M/C, so any air is likely trapped here. just to the left of the clutch pedal, a brass casting the brake pipe attaches to from the master cylinder.