Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Importing a Seven to the UK

Nigel Blandin

I am just about to bring my 1990 Seven over from Jersey and will need to mot it to get it registered with dvla. 
As we don't have such things in Jersey, will I need to (re) fit rear fog and reverse lights to pass? I don't have front repeaters on the wings either.

Are there any Seven friendly testers in the Sudbury area by the way?

On my '98 kit I never fitted the side repeaters on the cycle wings and its never been mentioned. Last year I fitted LEDs side indicators into the headlights more as a prompt I'd left them on (always in line of sight).

Reverse light is optional and only needs to work if fitted. Fog light I'm not sure - depends on the legislation at production date.

I can't be certain, but you might find that VAT becomes payable on a vehicle that is imported to the UK if VAT wasn't paid when new. I speak from experience of importing a used boat from Jersey to the UK in 2020 - as I say, the rules might be different for cars than boats.... but it's probably best to find out first rather than finding out the hard way.

might find that VAT becomes payable on a vehicle that is imported to the UK if VAT wasn't paid when new

You'd certainly think so. Otherwise people could export cars (no VAT) then immediately reimport them as "secondhand" and avoid the VAT. I suspect we'd have heard of that wheeze if it was possible. And Lewis Hamilton would probably use it for all his road vehicles.

I imported a Triumph Tiger motorbike (1973) into the U.K. from the USA (to where it had been exported when new). I had to pay VAT at 5% of what I paid for the bike, however there were no import duties to be paid. (I presume this would apply to vehicles in general I.e. cars as well as motorbikes). These charges were based on the bike being an unmodified classic and over 30 years old. As far as the DVLA were concerned the bike was treated as being one of 1973 vintage. 

• Area Representative

I think that if you have owned the car yourself in Jersey for a number of years you would not have to pay VAT on entry, as for fog lights and reversing lights that may be a requirement .

check it out with those that do know though !

Kingsley 

As I replied to Andy, if it is your possession and you can prove you have had it for a while, cars is six months I think, you complete the forms, get them approved and no hassle.

We have had to list everything we own...after 32 years of marriage that is a lot!

You then have two weeks to inform hmrc of arrival in the UK so you can register it. If it is a car over ten years old, it shouldn't need "approval" but will need a mot. I have just ordered some Caterham led rear lights as they have integrated fog and reverse lights...I just have to go wire fishing. 

Hadn't considered the emissions bit though. I assume they will go with the 1990 accepted figures? My BDR is on Jenveys with an MBE ecu so if it fails, we could put in an mot map I suppose.