Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series oil foaming

Youds7

I have a 1998 dry sumped bell tank 1.6 k series which does not have a swirl tower. I understand the swirl tower was introduced due to oil foaming. 
My question is do I need one?

When I check the oil after turning off the engine the oil is foamy. 
To install the swirl tower is it just a matter of taking off the original top plate, installing the tower and re-routing the oil pipes, or are there other changes needed to the baffles etc?

Many thanks in advance. 

From memory, I think you have to plug the oil return which I believe is in the upper edge of the bell tank (rather than lid) and this connects up the tower. There are a few components within the tower itself but nothing else below the connection to the bell tank.

There are various pictures on the Caterham Parts website in the engine / drysump section, albeit many bits are out of stock.

I'll try and get some pics of mine later!

• Leadership Team

I'm going from memory here ... you need to replace the top-plate assembly with the swirl tower, just seal it with some anaerobic sealant there's nothing else at the join. The top of the tower then has a couple of machined parts screwed on and a long tube which goes into the tower to aid de-aeration of the oil.  I suspect you'll need a longer scavenge hose as well.

Stu.

swirl-tower-rover-dry-sump.jpg.b23106b9f028992beb17b0174c4367a0.jpg

I bought the whole tower assembly from CC about a year ago (credit to TomB for alerting me at the time*byebye*but Parts was having a discounted sale on obsolete parts, and I think they told me it was the last one. 

If that is the case you could ditch the belltank, replacing with a standard bellhousing and clutch release arm and fit a proper higher capacity generic stainless steel dry sump tank (they are designed to de-aerate the oil) from Burtons or such like supplier, in front of the passenger footwell (which you would need to shorten).

You would need longer scavenge pump to tank and tank to engine pump pipes made up and rerouted (Think Automotive made some pipes for me recently). I think the whole assembly would be a bit lighter than the heavy, capacity limited, belltank.

Malcolm

I've sourced a complete swirl tower. Should arrive on Tuesday from Redline. CC only had the main tower without the dipstick and cap.
All I think I need now is the longer scavenge hose, already have the catch tank and hoses fitted. 
Where does the breather hose connect to? Currently it's connected to the top of the low plate.