Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine & gearbox install

Gavsy62

Am building a 420

Caterham have advised and confirmed to install the gearbox first then attached the engine to the gearbox.

Has anyone done it this way? I have only seen gearbox bolted to engine and then both lowered in.

Advice? 

Thats a bit like asking which is the best gearbox oil. Everyone will have an opinion on which way is best. If Caterham do them separately on the latest builds (day in day out) I'd be inclined to go current best practice.

I have a '98 K series and have always done engine and box together (7 or 8 times now!) always with a machine mart load leveler.

• Area Representative

It is well & good for CC to say they fit engine to pre fitted gear box but they have all the resources & experience to make the job seamless.

Potentially you could find attaching the the engine to a pre fitted gear box a bit of a struggle. Depends on how high the car is off the ground, the number of socket extensions & wobbly adaptors or how dexterous you are. 

IMO the best way is to fit the Engine/gear box assembly. Use a balance bar to get the angle of dangle correct & it should be straight forward. Using chains may mean try it & see with subsequent adjustments of the chain. Height of the chassis off the ground is key. About 18" is good. the higher the better but one must factor in stability for safety purposes.

When fitting my engine/gearbox I attached all four wheels JIC the chassis became disturbed.

Don't forget to protect the top front chassis rails as it is a close thing when dropping down.

Another vote for the adjustable load leveller/balance bar/angle of the dangle tool which I've found makes it way way easier. I have one you can borrow if you are near London (it's currently in South London, but could easily be picked up from N4 as well)

IME, installing engine/gearbox as a unit works best for amateur builders (and repairers).  I can see that, if you have a proper lift and can gain easy access under the car, installing the gearbox first may well be the preferred option, but I suspect few of us have that luxury.

This Guide may be of help to you.

JV