Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Klaxton Horn

Beagler

IMHO the sensible solution is to retain the normal "legal" horn and wire up the klaxton to a separate button / switch for fun use.  When I had a klaxton fitted I never used it as a warning blast because it has more of an amusing effect as opposed to a warning effect. Multi tone air horns are different, when sounded together they are certainly a warning tone.

I remember the law being introduced in maybe the 60's and as stated above it was to avoid confusion with emergency service vehicles.  In reality they sounded nothing like emergency service vehicles and I think the Government of the day were trying to clamp down on unruly youths in souped up Anglias and Minis who were fitting all sorts of horns Colonel Bogie, La Cucaracha, Dixie, Klaxton, Sirens and I recall there was even a "Wolf Whistle" horn for when you spotted a girl or girls in mini skirts ... ah those were the days and certainly not PC today when builders aren't allowed to whistle because of sexual harassment and girls don't even like you opening a door for them because you ain't showing them equality *rolleyes*

...and girls don't even like you opening a door for them...

Reminds me of the old joke:

Man and woman approach door together.  Man nips ahead and holds door open for woman.

Woman: "Are you holding the door open because I'm a lady?"
Man: "No, madam -- because I'm a gentleman"

JV