Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lack of spark at plugs on Supersprint 1700 Xflow

Weavie

I cannot get my Xflow to fire up and  I have checked the fuel supply and all okay. I can see that there is no spark at the plugs (1&4 at least). Replaced the coil and the distributor and cap is new having been fitted by Lloyds Performance in Warminster three months ago. Replaced HT lead from coil to distributor (twice) with no improvement. Plugs are new so not sure where to go next. Supply to coil is 12 volts when disconnected and all earthing straps have been cleaned.  Engine turns over freely. Any suggestions please what else to check (and how) and/or replace?

Check that you get a spark from the coil lead to earth. If you do, the problem lies in the dizzy/plug leads/plugs (unless the engine isn't earthed but you seem to have dealt with this). Is th distributor actually turning? Has the carbon electrode in the dizzy cap fallen out

I don't know what ignition you have, but there is a possible failure there, particularly if you have the abysmal Lucas system supplied by Caterham. The clue is that if you have, your rotor arm will have a steel skirt with four slots on its underside and the whole system is very unreliable and prone to failure.

If nothing else works, disconnect the ignition from the car and power it via an external battery to see it that works.

It could be lots of other things as well but you have to start somewhere.

It was running okay but a bit lumpy in the hot weather. I changed the plugs from  NGK BPR6ES to NGK B8ECS, thinking this would help. It started up like a bag of nails and then died and hasn't woked since despite reverting to the BPR6ES plugs. That was the only change I made prior to the fault.

Not wishing to teach you to suck eggs, but when you the fuel supply is good, how have you checked it?

On a previous XFlow, I had a problem with the pump rod in the Webers sticking and no fuel coming through.

All the electrickery bits seem to have been convered above