Click here if you are having website access problems ×

A different mirror question

mossy7

Mirrors are a frequent topic and yes I have read most of the threads. I do still have a question, however. Has anyone found a direct replacement mirror for the doors, with the same hole centres so no drilling etc, that is a better bet than the standard fit ones? 

I'm not really sure what you would aim to be improving with a "better bet" ... I don't think there's really anything wrong with the mirrors themselves and their mounting arms are pretty rigid, the vibration and issues come from their being mounted on relatively flexible doors, but you are aiming to retain this mounting. What are you looking to achieve?

I use the SPA GT mirrors mounted on the doors and find them fine, I did try the mirror mounts someone made and they made little or no difference. These do only cover one of the holes, not an issue for me as I have doors that never had standard mirrors on them. If you do have one hole visible fill it with a black plastic number plate bolt.

I have SPA GT mirrors on the Eccles mounts. I found I could further stabilize these by making a thin metal bracket that fixed the rear of the Eccles mount to one of the original holes in the door. The other hole is also covered by the mount.

It's got me wondering. My kit came with the metal ones and it was only when I came to try the Eccles mounts that I found there were different ones. 

I don't know whether or not the hole pitches are the same or anything really, I just assumed the SV had bigger stronger hinges. 

A friend of mine has had a reinforcing bracket water jet cut out of a (i think) 2mm thick piece of steel.  This is shaped a bit like a boomerang (matched to the shaped of the lower front corner of the window) and this stiffens up the corner of the door between the mirror mount and the lower hinge mount.  This appears to have worked quite well.  I am hopefully going to do something similar.

Colin