Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Increasing ride height - Front suspension question

Curly

POBC

Have just imported my 2003 SV into Australia and need a minimum 100mm clearance as part of the registration process.

Have the normal road adjustable platform but at fully wound up they only gives 80mm under sump so planning to lift the platform onto the upper circ-clip on the damper and try again.

Then I noticed these "FRONT DAMPER EXTENSION WIDETRACK"  on the Caterham parts site 

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/dampers/455-front-damper-extension-widetrack.html

Has anyone used them and where do they fit on the damper -  above or below the collar?  DO they increase the ride height?

Any other suggestions to adding ground clearance (other than fit a dry sump *wavey*)

Thanks

Curly

Edited. Do you need to achieve this clearance with car unloaded ? Or with the weight of driver in the seat ? Changing ride height will affect suspension set up, so you will need to check and adjust a lot more than just ride height.

• Leadership Team

Fitting the widetrack extensions would increase the damper assembly length which would increase the ride height, the gain would be the same as moving the circlip groove by the same amount as the length of the extension.

The actual amount of extension you need would take a few calculations but at the relatively low cost of the damper extensions trial and error might yield an appropriate result.

Stu.

Are there no exceptions to that rule?, it seems weird that such a rule can be applied to cars that were not designed to run that high. The 'normal' ride heights should be shown in the build manual.

Hey ho., anyway you are where you are also when setting the car up remember to maintain front to rear rake of the car, rear should be 15mm higher than the front.

Aren't the damper extensions linked above the same as already fitted to the SV as it is already wide track?

I would lift the suspension by the same amount on each damper using a combination of different circlip grooves and the adjustable platform collars (if fitted).

Hi Curly good to hear the Australian techie over zealous compliance people are up to their usual standard!!

Sooo I recently took my Bilsteins off my SV 05 here in Australia and they already had exactly that item fitted, just below the mounting eyelet, about 1 inch long.

I have no use for mine currently as swapped to AVO's but would rather not lose them permanently as not 100% that I wont re fit bilsteins later on...

Can remove them post down to you in Sydney on loan if you like, no charge, us Pommys here need to stick together :) but would like them back sometime.