Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Help! First time and it wont start!

Terry Field

• Area Representative

Read this. https://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/demystifying-k-series-starter-solenoid-circuit

I would disconnect the battery.  Then disconnect and clean the solenoid leads, reconnect them, reconnect the battery and see if it starts.  Seems to be a number of different issues with the starting wiring on K series cars caused by poor design. 

Nick

Can you hear the solenoid click when you try and crank. Does the battery voltage drop a long way at that point ? Remove small trigger cable from starter and fit another to the tag on the starter. With car in neutral, touch free end of this cable on battery positive. Expect a spark. Hold it there. Does it crank ?

Hi SMT25!

The battery is properly filled, and it has been on a conditioner for four days, apparently charging correctly. My main charger is u/s but I will try to borrow one and give it a go.

Although the battery is giving out 12.5 at rest, what would you expect to see whilst cranking ( or trying to)? 

"Garybee,

Just rechecked. 12.5 at rest, below 3 while trying to crank."

Thanks for the clarification.  That's so bad I thought it was likely to be a mistype.  Battery is absolutely FUBAR'd as others have said.  Even a completely seized engine wouldn't pull the voltage down anywhere near that.

Lots of options on what to go with now.  Replace with standard wet lead acid (Banner), AGM/gel battery or lithium.  I went with a sealed gel battery.  Mine was actually intended for a ride on mower.  Fitted about 7 years ago and still fine now.  They have the advantage of being more resistant to deep discharge whilst also being lighter than the standard Banner.

Right, I jump started it from the tin top and it ran immediately. It also restarted under its own steam about 5 minutes later.  Lets see what the morning brings, but I think a call to Sevens and Classics is in order, followed by a new battery.

I have used Powervamp gel batteries in the past, so might go down that route again.

Thanks for all the help!