Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's in your breakdown kit?

goodcoffeecode

• Leadership Team

I've used both the strings and Stop & Go kits on motorbikes and cars and not found it necessary to have any further repairs done afterwards. The strings are better at repairing odd shaped damage from say a sizable piece of flint, S&G plugs are easier to use though and very suited to cleaner holes, screws, nails etc.

The strings or plugs are often filling a very definite hole in the tyre, personally I wouldn't trust a foam or gel to be able to do that permanently and it's not something I want to find out stranded in the middle of nowhere or when away for a few days.

Stu.

Since the strings are used for larger injuries there is a significant risk that the inner layers of the tyre are damaged, without removal you cannot inspect this - so as a temporary measure they are fine, and I would carry them for that purpose, however the tyre should be removed to inspect and a correct BS rated repair should be carried out as soon as possible, as these are secure, watertight - to prevent ingress and delamination or corrosion to the steel, and have the correct speed rating to be approved as a permanent repair.

Most punctures only make a small piercing in the inner butyl layer which partially self closes once the object is removed the gels I linked to have fibres in them which fill perfectly and instantly without you even knowing.

The foams in my experience just make lots of pretty bubbles !

Last puncture I had when flat in 3 seconds in lane 3 of the M4 front right on and tintop - seems a carrier had shed a loads of bolts as the hard shoulder was littered with stranded cars, once the tyre was off I put my little finger through the hole !!

Needless to say this wasn't repairable !! - but why do punctures always seem to happen in new tyres *curse* 

• Leadership Team

One item I do carry now due to past need ... a suction cup rear view mirror just in case. Emergency purchase in Verviers for €5 and now lives in my onboard spares bag.

Stu.