Click here if you are having website access problems ×

LOWERING 7" HEADLIGHTS

A7 OOH

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just for info here are some pics of the new brackets installed on my 2003 R300 SV.  Very easy to install, most of the time was taken in care and attention to cleaning the contacts on the connectors pins which you have to disassemble and routing and securing the loom after positioning the lights.  You have to mark out and file a slot in the Indicator Shroud so the foot of the new brkt sits flush. Just make sure this is centred at 90 degrees to the C/L of the hole for the headlight fixing.  Additional Tip: make sure you check there is clearance between the headlights and the cycle wings when steering in on full lock.18F1B861-266E-4F68-ABCC-A6568BA942CC.thumb.jpeg.715ccdfdbb652cc4471b3efb7e685121.jpegA32267CC-DF8F-4F67-BE96-3A4A3588986C.thumb.jpeg.890bb7211c88bf99ffefaf0f52301fa8.jpeg

I would not advise drilling a hole in the tube (bear in mind here that I'm not the "designer", only an ex aerospace engineer!) In the original bracket the hole was drilled in a low stress area adjacent to the additional bracing tube.  In the new bracket drilling a hole to route the wiring would severely weaken the strength of the tube and create a potential failure point.  As you can see in my photo the complete headlight and indicator wiring, all contained in the original sleeve, can be routed along the new bracket using cable ties and into the engine bay to the connector through the cut out in the nose cone.  There is sufficient clearance and the cable tie secures it in position.

I would not advise routing the wiring loom down from the light and onto the wishbone as this would result in it being continually flexed when the car was driven.

Also remember the assembly manual instructions about drawing the excess length of the wires back into the headlight housing to avoid too much "out in the fresh air"

I tend to remove the OE protective sleeving as I find its too bulky and inflexible, whilst the pins are out of the multiplug you can slide on a length of black heatshrink and tuck this right up inside the headlight, once shrunk in place it can re routed along the back side of the bracket and secured with 3 x 1mm zip ties.

This way the entire headlight assemble can be swiftly removed for access etc by simply upluging the multiplug and slackening the pinch bolts.