Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Removal of foam strip

Ralph45

Assuming that Andrew's "paraffin" is the stuff used as heater fuel in the UK rather than anything else that goes by the same name...

I'd expect that WD-40, paraffin and petrol would have similar effectiveness as solvents for this purpose. But the need here is to remove the residue without damaging the paint. Autoglym Intensive Tar Remover differs in at least two ways: it contains xylene and a surfactant. The latter is probably irrelevant here as there isn't a water phase, it could make a big difference with cleaning clothes, etc. Xylene is a more powerful solvent and carries a greater risk of damaging paint. But the manufacturers say it's suitable and Ian has recommended it so the risk is probably low.

... so I'll try them both.

It would be great hear how they work back to back. And isopropyl alcohol if possible. 

NB For all of them wash off asap.

Jonathan

Yes my paraffin is just regular heater fuel. And yes I think paraffin, WD40 and petrol and any other light hydrocarbon oil such as diesel or home heating kerosene would work just as well. Paraffin is cheap, not very volatile (so you can soak the strip in it for a while without it evaporating away) and reasonably safe.

As autoglym is designed for removing tar from vehicle paintwork it should be acceptable - as with all chemicals on paint try a bit first. 

Personally, I wouldn't leave any of the above on paintwork for a long time (water can cause modern clear coat lacquer to bloom with constant, prolonged contact) and I finish by wiping with a soapy microfibre cloth to remove chemical residue.

I do find that automotive sticky trim tapes respond differently when being removed depending on chemical. I work through most of the suggestions above till I find one that works. Also seems easier in the warmer seasons!

Ian

Tried all sorts including IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol), tar remover and WD40 and found that White Spirit was the best.  Hate the stuff (vapour is obnoxious) but it is the most effective solvent for attacking the adhesive.  Always clean off surface after with IPA before affixing replacement foam strip in case the paintwork doesn't like the White Spirit but never had any problems.

Neil

... and I finish by wiping with a soapy microfibre cloth to remove chemical residue.

Having some surfactant in the remover will help at that stage. 

I do find that automotive sticky trim tapes respond differently when being removed depending on chemical. I work through most of the suggestions above till I find one that works. Also seems easier in the warmer seasons!

The effect of heat is very interesting. A surprising number of sticky things will come off with that alone. The solvent action should be greater with increasing temperature. But that effect where little balls of goo lift off the next bit of goo might also be enhanced. (Does it have a name?)

Jonathan

This weekend I will use all three,the Autoglym,white spirit and Isopropyl alcohol and throw in some heat to soften the adhesive.

My heat gun AKA wife's hair dryer may not be as powerful as a real deal heat gun but equally probably going to be a lot safer for the paintwork.