Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyres for competition

Russ P

I have a 7 Supersprint with approx 140 bhp at the flywheel.  (tuned 1700 crossflow).

At present it has standard road tyres, Uniroyal Rain Expert, which are 185/60/R14.

Could someone recommend  suitable tyres for track days and sprinting.

Many Thanks,

Russ

For sprinting It does depends which class you are competing in.

The class will either select from List 1A, 1B or 1C, decide on where you are competing so you can check the relevant regulations.

If you are competing with the Club then with that spec you will be in either Class 2 on 1A tyres, So Yokohama A539, which they do in a 14" or Class 3 on a 1B tyre

The Nankang NS2R is good on the dry as all tyres but also in the wet .  I use them at Paul Ricard Circuit under rain and I was truly surprised . They are  now on the car for everyday and they are difficult to change . My other set is Falken 914, 2 years old and no more good on the track . Anyway they are out of production now .  My dimension is 185/60/13 but the Nankang exists in 185/60/14 . May be a set in 13" will give you a better car for sprinting ....   You will have another choice Avon ZZS or ZZR for dry track .

My 7 is a 1989 1600 Sprint engine 110 HP  . ( upgraded front suspension no trunnions and new De Dion Tube specs ). Due to age, gentle driving . 

Russ,

I would reiterate my earlier post, don't decide on buying tyres until you decide how you want to compete, which championship and what class. 

While the tyre recommendations given may be suitable for some championships and classes, they may not be suitable for the championship and class you decide to compete in.