Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Engine rattle from something attached to alternator belt

Scotland North AR

Morning, all the items on the crankshaft are keywayed on since Premier Power upgrade.

Forgot to add that the water pump was changed also.

The only thing not new on the driveline of the belt is the crankshaft pulley, dropped the car off just now to get it changed.

Strictly speaking the 11,000 mile old alternator is not new but has been away for stripdown and inspection.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it appears to be fixed...a few false starts over the last few days, ordered the wrong flywheel locking tool, then had the wrong crankshaft stretch bolt....

• Engine rattle
  • Changed idler pulley - thought I felt play in it
  • Changed belt tensioner - as above
  • Sent alternator away for checking - returned all fine from manufacturer
  • Changed alternator drive belt and pulley
  • Changed water pump
  • Changed crankshaft damper pulley
  • Fitted brand new alternator and pulley
  • Rattle gone!

The rattle came on 3-4 minutes after engine start originally. I can only assume something is warming up inside the alternator, expanding and then catching causing the rattle.

The alternator will be going back to the manufacturer for a further check.

The engine is 60,000 miles old, 11,000 after a rebuild and now everything one the front of the engine is brand new so not all bad.

Good job this is December and not June i.e. mid driving season.

• 1 month later...

I had a Volvo V50 that developed an annoying rattle - a garage diagnosed a failing dual mass flywheel.  Luckily, my Volvo dealer diagnosed a failed clutch in the alternator pulley - it was a new alternator (5000 miles) - and they were right.  Has your alternator got a solid pulley, or a clutch/damper?

In the end, WOSP, who made the alternator, gave me a new one free of charge as a gesture of goodwill.

The alternator was tested on another Caterham and rattled before going back to WOSP. WOSP tested the alternator in their factory a couple of different ways but couldn't generate the rattle. I suspect that this was because they couldn't replicate the amount of side load which the tensioner applies on their bench top rig. They also stripped it down again and couldn't find anything visually.

The alternator pulley is solid (no clutch) aluminium. It exhibited very high wear after 11,000 miles so I'm just waiting for WOSP to supply a steel pulley which they also agreed to do FOC.

You live and learn....and sometimes end up the poorer for it.

Still, another trip to the Picos booked in the car plus the diary filling up with other car runs so not all bad.