Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Handbrake cable

Simon Horne

Good evening all,

Looking for a bit of advice please. Our build is progressing well but I'm struggling with the routing of the handbrake cable.

Firstly there is a rubber grommet on each leg of the cable and I can not fathom out where they are supposed to be seated. 

36LjfNVRRv2MZlrTb8K9Xg.jpg.2aa13d1c63f27c0f3088b9f1bd8ef799.jpg

Secondly I can't figure out the best way to route the cables especially the left hand side. Does this generally go over or under the driveshaft and where does it get zip tied.

Many thanks for your help.

Firstly there is a rubber grommet on each leg of the cable and I can not fathom out where they are supposed to be seated. 

I don't think that they do anything: previous discussions. And I've always assumed that they were there for the car for which it was originally designed.

Jonathan

PS: Have you seen the hints about not tightening the handbrake cable until the rear brakes are set?

Some people move the grommet to where the cable is clamped to the tubes and put a cable tie either side to clamp the cable to the chassis tubes. This stops the metal cable damaging the powder coat on the tubes.

The cable loops over the top of the shaft and comes out under the shaft. It is zip tied to the horizontal chassis tubes.

• Area Representative

I don't think zip ties (cable ties) are acceptable these days for IVA although may depend on where test takes place.  I think they need to be attached by P clips. i.e. A P clip around the cable and a P clip around chassis tube and the two P clips bolted together. 

As StevehS3, the cable loops over the top of the shaft and comes out under the shaft. However, it should be  zip tied to the A-frame.  I initially had mine on the chassis and it was changed by CC during the PBC; there's a rubber sleeve on the cable around which the zip ties are fixed.  My problem was on the right hand side where I had the cable routing behind the braided brake line - it should be routed forward of the brake line and again zip tied to the A-frame. 

Hi All,

I'm at the same stage of a 360 build, and having just fitted the diff, am really struggling with routing the handbrake cable from the handbrake lever?  On the right hand side it is supposed to go through the bracket on the diff but.......firstly the cable will not fit into the bracket - the gap in the bracket is not big enough? Secondly, it seems to be an unnatural routing even if it was to go through the bracket?  I'm obviously missing something really basic here?  Any advice gratefully received?

Thanks

Phil

IMG_20190914_103417_0.thumb.JPG.c966b7d038bbfce3b54804bc96b92bb8.JPG  

Phil,

I may have confused you with my post as I think there are brackets on the side of the tunnel not diff where the handbrake cable fits. It’s several months since I did my build and my car is at Crawley at the moment so can’t check. If you look through various build blogs you should be able to find good descriptions and photos.

Phil, just to add to my previous posts I used ‘purplemeanie’ and CTR mint blogs, both of which show pretty good photos of handbrake cable and just reviewing ‘purplemeanie’ blog you can see he got his adjuster in wrong place initially which is what I was thinking of when I first saw your post, but think you are referring to correct bracket for adjuster so not really sure why it won’t fit. As steveSh3 said the adjuster is on RHS but I think maybe your photo is upside down so is actually showing RHS. Not sure I have actually helped with all these replies, hopefully blogs will as they are pretty good and have descriptions of how they fitted their cables.

Thanks for the input - you are correct - unfortunately the picture is upside down - apologies. It is the right way up if you just open it, but when uploaded it has been turned 180 and I couldn't rotate it back?  I've had a quick look at purplemeanies blog and have seen one picture of the adjuster on the RHS of diff - it is as I had assumed but I'm struggling to get the cable through the bracket.  I'll do a search for CTR mint as well.

Thanks again,

Cheers

Phil