Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Protective film for the paintwork

James2

Hi all. Build pretty much completed by my talented Dad! IVA scheduled. The one thing we want doing is the application of protective film on the at risk bits of the lovely paintwork. Any recommendations of peeps that can do that in the Cheshire / North West area, and preferably are familiar with Caterhams? Many thanks as usual!

A national option is PPG, he does loads of 7s, but travels to you house for which he charges an hourly rate on travel, so it may work out more expensive depending on his travel time. I’ve found a place in Chorley called Chorley Wraps and Tints that come recommended by a local owner - there rates seem comparable with PPG minus the travel element, but you have to get the car to Chorley.

https://wrapsandtints.com/about/

http://www.premierpaintguard.co.uk/

• Leadership Team

It is not too hard to DIY (PPG premier paint guard supply the kit and pre cut film).

In my opinion it is only worth doing the wings. It is amazingly tough stuff - you don’t need wing protectors.

Simon

I've just had a new car fitted with the full kit from Dave Wood (PPG) and cannot recommend him enough. the full kit I asked for consisted of

Front edges of the front mudguards, Front of rear Mudguards (I had the Carbon guards covered as well), Patch below the petrol cap, Strips down the round edge of the rear curved entry into the car (prone to seat belt buckle damage), Full sized side cover from front wheel to rear. two patches on the bonnet where the door studs rub when opening the doors, Front of nose cone.

Yes you pay for his travel but the quality of his work is excellent. I've regretted not having the full kit on previous cars especially if you follow other Caterhams with sticky tyres which flick up a mass of stones. 

10% off if your a member of the L7 Club

If you are having PPF to protect the paintwork I would think about the mudguard star cracks that come from stones hitting the inside. IMO they look worse than the small paint chips. I think some people have used a rubber mastic type paint on the inside of the mudguards.

IME, the most exposed areas were side panels, bonnet edges (where the doors rest when open) and the rear mudguards.

So, after the respray, I fitted PPG's "full bodyside" and "body-to-door stop" film.  They weren't difficult to apply, thanks to the supplied lube kit.

(The bonnet film proved to be redundant after I fitted stanchion-mounted mirrors.)

For the rear mudguards, I opted for Millwood's wrap-around carbon protectors:

Wraparoundcarbon-fibrerearwingprotector_0.jpg.437ddc151352c0b1c4e347ae0dc41944.jpg

JV

So is DIY fitting of film viable for a novice? The closest I've come to it is fitting phone screen protectors, and even they end  up with bubbles! 

I want to fit at least film on the rear wing & CF stone guards, the sides and leading edge of the nose.  Maybe other small pieces here and there, but they are the main ones.  

The tricky stuff is anything with a double curvature, nosecone especially.  The bits I did myself were either flat or single curvature.   The application kit comes with lube and a tool to smooth the film on.  Personally, I'd be inclined to leave the complex bits to the experts.

JV

James,

I work for the company that make one of the brands of PPF (indeed one of the ones that Dave fits).

Unfortunately I cannot get any discount on film, (actually cannot even buy it unless I set myself up as a "trader"), but I did have the opportunity during a site visit to have a play at putting some film onto a variety of surfaces. The "head of training" failed miserably to get me to fit even relatively small pieces of film to a standard which he found acceptable.

I too am reaching the stage of a rebuild where I am contemplating having PPF fitted.

I don't think that I will be doing it myself.

Dave