Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lower rear ride height

jcaswell

I have a 1995 Caterham S3 Imperial chassis, De Dion. sideviewcaterham.thumb.JPG.9437c5eb34cec217a035e16e684e041b.JPG My car is a bit of a hybrid with new chassis. Has wide track front suspension and Watts linkage on the rear.This how I received when I when I bought it. I would like to lower the ride height at the rear. I have HPC wheels with standard size tires for these rims. My shocks do have the threaded pieces on the tube and two lock rings. They seam to be at there lowest setting already. Please see pictures. .Any input gladly welcomed.MY7SIDE.JPG.d646b53a0c0bf95581e3844d97c652fa.JPG rearspringnumbers.jpg.70b15e1ead9c49fc981e6d55156df178.jpg rearshocksbottom_0.jpg.b41cf7aa4acbb985637ad6e5e0d9679f.jpg

• Area Representative

Take the dampers off.

Compress the springs.

Slide the sleeve up the damper, and remove the circlip that the sleeve sits on.

Fit the circlip in that lower position, and uncompress the springs before fitting back onto the car.

• Area Representative

My recommend would be to find someone familiar with Caterham set up to flat floor the car and check the rake, toe and camber settings, the car will be much more enjoyable to drive if set up properly.  Just lowering the rear with no references will not necessary help the handling.

Nick

Ok, I needed to know what I have and how to work with the shocks. I am in Canada so no body close to me offers flat floor set up for Caterhams. When looking at the bottom of the shock under the adjustment rings for the springs there is a piece with flats on the sides and another piece below that, is that a spacer about 1/ 1/2 " that can be removed. Before I buy springs I will lengthen the spring mounting and reinstall and test.

Yes wrong springs for road use.

1 1/2`` step/spacer is the lower circlip groove that you need to move to get lower ride height. Circlip is up inside the black sleeve

The lower lock ring (silver anodised) appears to be for the 1.9`` springs  that you need. You can swap them over for the 2.25`` that are currently in use but you will need new top spring retainer or get them turned down to 1.9``(assuming you can get the springs)

• 4 weeks later...

Ok thanks every one for help. I got new Caterham rear springs part #71198 progressive . They told me the top and bottom mounts were ok as the new springs were the same inside and outside dimensions as the old race springs. Everything fits great just adjusting the spring perches for proper front and rear ride height. Thanks to everyone for their input.