Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lots of spots, no replies

Anton

Got spotted once after the first 2 months of ownership (and replied) and then never again in the next 3 and a bit years, and have covered 10,000 miles in that time - seen other Sevens in that time, probably 5 or 6 times, but haven't had any replies - perhaps some of them were Westfields.

Interestingly when I was spotted, I had my dad in the car, who was 95 at the time, and must have been the oldest guy to wriggle his backside into a Caterham - getting him out was fun !!! I remember he described the experience as more frightening than flying Hurricanes during the war !!

Hi Jonathan

In 1 - RAF Hethel- RAF 303 hurricane squadron was based there in 1946/7 - and 10 years later ...

I suppose another one is RAF Kenley, which is between Kenley and Caterham was a  hurricane base as well during the Battle of Britain.

A bit tenuous I know - any others ?

I've worked on a Hurricane and have done quite a bit with Sevens (obviously).  Have carried out quite a few repairs on BBMF's aircraft.

Back on the spotted subject, there's a few Sevens out this way but realistically I've always considered the whole 'spotted' thing more for the areas where there're a lot more owners.  

• Area Representative

I haven't been spotted for a few years. 

Overall fewer than half-a-dozen in 20 years and well over 100,000 miles (milometer currently reading at about 124,000 miles, some were the original owner plus some of mine without a device when it was being fixed and some when it wasn't reading correctly)

I have certainly had a couple of spots in the 21, possibly equaling those in the Seven.

Spot GJT or the 21 and I will respond!

ISTR I've been spotted about three times since 2003 over something like 160k miles in two Sevens.

Re Hurricanes - both Biggin Hill and Croydon airport had Hurricane squadrons during the war - but (apart from me and my Sevens living in Croydon) I can't think of a link.........

Haven't got the details worked out yet, but something like

1. Hawker Hurricane
  2. Hawker Aircraft
  3. Hawker Siddeley
  4. De Havilland
  5. Costin (could be either according to taste)
  6. Lotus
  7. Lotus Seven

Jonathan

PS: Has anyone ever discovered what ACBC flew in the RAF?