Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil temperature 360 with dry sump system

Petethediesel

Good day gentlemen,

I have a 2018 spec 360 with a dry sump system. It is fitted with the latest spec 420 combined rad/oil cooler which I think was originally fitted on race spec R400's.

I have fitted the temp switch in the tank through to a toggle switch on the dash and then to the water gauge,  so I can switch between oil/water temps. In yesterday's ambient of 10C and in normal, quickish when you can, road driving, the tank temp was about 55C max. Even allowing for the oil to be a good 5C above this when exiting the oil pump pressure side, it's still well below the ideal 90/100C. Not entirely linear but I'd expect this to be improved to around 75C in a 30C ambient.

Today I blanked off the oil cooler front and did the same run (10C ambient again). Oil raised to a max of 70 C at the tank, so still lower than I would like. Potentially 90 C oil tank temp in a 30C ambient. Sure on track would be higher, but with the car doing mostly road driving my questions are this:

Does anyone have part numbers/source for a an in line thermostat controlled bypass unit? 

What temps are others seeing on a similar set up?

Thanks

Ideally you need to firstly relocate your temp sender into the big plug in the Raceline sump (Assuming your running the stock CC / Raceline DS set up ?)

You can drill and tap this to suit, although I has a new one made up with more material on the head to offer more threads you can get thermostatic bypass valves from Think Automotive, and could locate it in the nose running the bypass hose in the area for ease of plumbing.

Might has access to a new style sump plug tapped etc if our interested - drop me a BM

I’m not sure it matters where you take the temperature, unless you are just trying to find out the maximum it gets to. Like most measurements it’s establishing a norm and warning of the out of the ordinary.

Mine’s set up like the OP’s but shows 65/70 on the road, 80/85 on track. 

I would suggest the cooler lowers the temperature by much more than 5c, so I’m quite happy with it. 

I don’t agree. 

I want to know when it’s up to normal running temperature and I want to know if the normal maximum is exceeded, or indeed, isn’t being reached. 

I know what’s normal for my set up, which appears to work well, and I’ll get an indication if things become abnormal. 

I think there’s a point to that. 

So why don't you measure the water temp from the bottom of the radiator then ...?

Because irrespective of watching the temp rise during warm up - which a correctly located sender still offers, your more interested in peak temp measured from the point where the fluid has the most energy, this way you know whats happening rather than guessing with a varying degree of accuracy as to whats going on.

I have a K series wet sump and used have problems with high oil temperatures. I fitted an Apollo and I now have the reverse, my oil now only gets to around 60/70 degrees on the road. I am going to lag the tank and remove the lagging for track days.

I can only assume the Apollo tank acts like a radiator

This broadly reflects my findings. For sure the latest spec triangular main oil tank of around 7.5 litrs capacity is a large heat sink right up front in the airflow. I'm going to re pipe to isolate the cooler or fit a thermostatic valve that cuts in at 80C. 

Pete