Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Trackday wheels and Tyres help please

steve osbaldeston

Just finished my 310S kit which has come with Caterham 14 inch classic 6J wheels and Avon Road tyres.

What wheels and tyres should I swap to for my track days. Was thinking:

6 inch apollo rims  and 185/55/R13 Avon ZZS on front

8 inch apollo rims  and 215/55/R13 Avon ZZS on rear

Can I just do a straight swap or does it need suspension mods.

There is an easy option of changing the tyres to 14” R888R but 13” are apparently better. I use my 14” for road blats (with a bit of extra ride height) and run 6 inch apollo rims  and 185/55/R13 Avon ZZS front and back. I am probably in the minority in preferring same width on the rear.

There is the same size available in R888R tyres which would keep you the same ride height and save the cost of new wheels. 13” are apparently better though. I bought a set of 13” Apollos with ZZS for track and I must say they seem great.

• Leadership Team

Steve, I'm using the 13" ZZS tyre combination you've stated, albeit with 6" & 8" Anthracites rather than Apollos. It's a great setup for both road and track.

My suggestion would be to go for that, have the car set up properly on the 13" wheel / tyre combination, then swap to the 14's for road use ... if you feel you really must! I suspect once you've used the 13" ZZS's you'll leave them on permanently.

Stu.

Edited for spelling!