Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fitting DRE shift lights to a 270R

Rogercsr7

Just in the process of transferring my DRE shift lights across from my CSR onto my sigma 270R. I've found an easy access earth and ign power feed (there's a few spare terminals about as it's an ex-academy car), now searching for the signal wire. I've spliced into the white/black wire at the back of the tacho, as in the CSR. The DRE is live and scrolls through settings, but no rev read-out when fired up, just a brief 5 (I think). I've tried the 1 cylinder setting (as on the CSR) and the 4 cylinder setting. Can anyone confirm that I'm on the right wire for the signal, or am I missing something else. 

Thanks a lot, Roger

As far as I am aware later models have a white connector, near the rev counter, tire wrapped into the loom for the factory Aces shift light.   A clean solution would be to use this connector.    Not got access to my car at the moment, but will try and get a photo when its back. 

When I fitted DRE to my 2018 420R  a few months back after rummaging around i found a set of spare connectors (negative spades) bundled together presumably for the optional ACEs unit, lurking as part of the loom at the RHS of the dash, roughly behind the area of the on/off rocker switch for the lights

After lifting up the windscreen threaded the DRE wires down through the existing grommet/hole for the heated windscreen wire and connected.  Works fine.

Thanks for all the comments on the thread chaps. All sorted my end after braving this morning under the carport. On my 270R it is definitely the white wire with the black flash (not the black with a white flash). Tapped into that having teased it out from the loom behind the tacho. My ex-Academy car seems to have all sorts of spare , unconnected wires behind the dash, with a very convenient spare ignition feed green and a black earth going spare. I had the correct connections from the start, but mistakenly thought that the revs were showing on the DRE all the time.

In my case the “spare” bundle I located contained all the necessary  wires ie. white/black(signal), green(live) and black(earth). It’s worth checking if your car has this bundle, as I found there were some separate green and black loom connectors available (for whatever reason), but I only wanted to splice into the white/black as a last resort. I recall having to take out both the rev counter and the speedo in order to have a good look around

• 4 weeks later...

I have just successfully completed the installation to a 2010 Roadsport 150 Sigma.  I did not find a spare connector so had to link to the tacho cable.  All working perfectly.  I first removed the steering wheel to gain access.  Then removed the tachometer and then unplugged the 20pin connector.  I have labelled the connections you need in the picture taken through the tacho hole.

Hope this helps!

DREshiftlight.thumb.jpg.70899ec91bce123e9b4aedbc526ba5d2.jpg  

• 4 years later...

Resurrecting this one as I'm looking to install shift lights (in 2015 SuperSport R) and have found the same connector as in post #12.  Hiding up behind my wiper switch.

With photos below (including imprint in blu-tack) can anyone identify the type of male connector I need please?  The female pins look like ~2mm diameter. One of the 'connections' is "D" shaped, the other two are square.

It's been very tightly tied and bound up with the loom, no slack on it at all, and going to be very difficult to remove this female connector to replace with different type....so path of least resistance (and swearing) is finding corresponding male type if possible.  I've searched internet but no joy.

Cheers, Rich

conn1.jpg.0e1fe381dab976b50b6b82b410134f6d.jpg

conn2.jpg.0ce7fa030e3318f6009cae2471442919.jpg

Connector1.jpg.f265f80f56950af13c6995ca487f0336.jpg

Connector2.jpg.099616270c06136baa41a5b98343ba2a.jpg

conn1.jpg.e8ec77140fd7006a668d44fd9812c1bb.jpg

Thanks a lot Stu, yes it does look similar to #12.   Slight difference with mine is one of the connector-ways is "D" shaped (other 2 are square).

After many hours trawling late last night think I've stumbled on a match for mine: a "Tamiya L6.2" connector. Almost exclusively from China, only stockist in UK I could find was www.componentshop.co.uk.

For the benefit of others in future I'll report back if it's the right fit.

If it is right, seems like an obscure connector for CC to choose....unless of course these looms are made up in China.

(Chinese spec sheet: https://www.lhecn.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/C6201C6202L6.2.pdf)

connfemale.JPG.17d24ee62e260e9b0dbb79d50a528cf5.JPG

connmale.JPG.05ebd06367fa65be10f96f2d3d47f3e2.JPG

connfemale.JPG.c5a358412a9cbfd4389724d51a65a905.JPG

connmale.JPG.e1ed5ea5aecd8f16e255ef131318b7a2.JPG