Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Number plate

genneton4

Hi, 
I have 1990 Supersprint car that came with a luggage rack but it appears to want to rest on the plastic number plate and not the metal number plate mount. (plastic plate is bigger than the metal mount).
Have tried to 'twist and ply' the bottom pegs to try and pick up on the metal but won't work unless it will look too weird/distorted. (won't twist far enough). 
I know these things are 'strap on' but don't want to stress the plate.  Have 'melded' a little extra plastic to the ends of the overlap of the number plate so the plate is a little stronger.
Should it/might it be ok ?
Short of having to replace the short metal plate mount with a longer normal size plate one -  any experiences/wisdoms ??

Thanks

Keith 

Are you saying the Perspex plate sits proud upwards of the plate mount, meaning the hook bottoms of the rack est on that edge?

photo might help, I have no problems using mine, on occasions its really useful, but I use a short number plate, old style, with a metal edge on it, raised letter style. Tippers cut the plate to short length beautifully.

I wanted the old style retro plate to go with my old style car, I remember the first thing I used to do when younger was put on newer Perspex plates, but this was a nod to the old days.

https://www.tippersvintageplates.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/tippers?opendocument&part=5

When your partner suggests 3 outfits for a weekend at Goodwood.

Vintage case for all her stuff AND a dress bag draped over rear shelf. And handbag(s).

Vintage style hotel stickers courtesy of ‘isaydingdong’ sticker company.

The luggage rack is extremely handy in such situations. 

Spot on lads - thank you. 

Just trying to work out how to delete this post before anybody else starts giggling !!

Seriously - It is a tight fit with the plate that I have but all sorted this morning - I can go on my hols. now. !!

Slight senior moment but in my defence the car was trailered here and it arrived with the rack hooked on to the number plate. It all makes sense now.

Thanks again.

Keith

*arrowup*

My welded on spare wheel carrier sheered off (well, peeled away a 'bite' shape out of the rear basket tubing). That was after quite a lot of miles touring with a case/bag on it. Of course CC said they'd NSTB - Not Seen That Before.

Always used a small ratchet strap around the top of the luggage bracket and through spare wheel, up to the roll bar after that *rolleyes*

I did see one that an owner had designed that clamped onto the bottom of the sloping rear bracing tubes of the roll bar, so that took the main weight.