Click here if you are having website access problems ×

upgrade 7" headlights

andydavy

I looked at the paddoock spares ones thanks Bricol, but could not find them on the Wipac website so was a little concerned they might be knockoffs!? (not sure if thatmatters!). SVC recommended the Freeform ones so went for them - they look very similar from the pics I have seen.

I am advised that the LED's I have gone for are substantially brighter than the Halogen+ bulbs so I hope that is true. Hopefully I have not wasted my cash! Will experiment a little with different bulbs

As usual I expect these things to be straight forward with an obvious answer - but they never are! Garth

I think "crystal" might be their old name. They are the same as I have fitted.  I tried Cibie ones, with decent bulbs but still couldn't get what I wanted compared to the original ones supplied with the car when it arrive in boxes.  I tried complete Cibie Oscar H4 headlamps too.

I think the Wipacs are pretty good, so wherever you've got them from, I think you'll be pleased.  I'm using Piaa bulbs - dip is very good, and main beam doesn't simply light the trees up, which is what I found with other lenses if I had them set for a good dip pattern.

• 2 weeks later...

With the help of Alan I fiddled around with my headlights on Monday and here are my comments......

All pics taken with an SLR using the same exposure settings.

New lenses and LED bulbs as listed in my earlier post - Wipac Freeform lenses and Classic Car LED's. I have 7" lenses so used the LED's with the external driver which are meant to be slightly brighter than the Classic car version without. Bit fiddly to fit though as you need to fix the driver to the housing and I am also going to need to tape the push fit connection to ensure there is no contact between the wiring and the housing (this push fit usually sits on the back of the bulb so is held clear of the housing!). Looking for some heat resistant insulation tape as I suspect it gets quite hot in there!

First pic is with my original Caterham lenses (smooth reflector with glass fronts that 'focus' the beam) and +120% bulbs. The lenses are for LHD car hence beam pattern

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a05.jpg.18359ee99f1c38b28bad374558588c32.jpg

Second pic is with new lens and +120% bulb on right. Left side untouched. Intensity much the same but there is a more even and focused spread of light from the new lens. Shows how 'patchy' the original lens is.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a06.jpg.3100e3f23c9362e280a48949172bbeb9.jpg

Last pic is with the original on left and new LED bulb and lens on right. The LED beam spread is slightly wider and apart from a few 'wispy' bits on the edges is a good spread. Photo does not really show how much brighter the LED looks to the eye. Could have fiddled with the exposure but life is too short!

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3a07.jpg.57af896a163794452ff41bc884f5d526.jpg

In my view the Freeform lenses give a much better spread of light and the LED bulbs are significantly brighter.

Now just need to get them adjusted correctly - any pointers would be welcome!

Garth

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Hello Garth

Having done a lot of checking of this forum and others, I decided to go down your route for my 7" lights

Bought the Wipac Freeform units first and nearly didn't bother with the LED bulbs as the standard halogens now gave as good light as my tin top

But I did bother with the LEDs from classiccarleds and they are much brighter and whiter. Lots of opportunities for night driving here in the frozen north, beyond the wall. Absolutely brilliant except if it gets foggy.

I've now changed all my bulbs to LED

Thanks for