Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Recommendations: upgrading to LED lights

gnewman79

Neither of these recommendations AFAIK are 'E'  marked for complete units only components and you could fall foul of insurance if rear ended, as has happened in the past.

Worth noting that fitting a 'E' LED bulb into an already 'E' marked light does not comply as light units are tested with a specific bulb for intensity, colour and angle of light projection, many LED bulbs don't meet these.

The CC versions of clear lens fall foul of this too.

SVC do offer LED lights that meet the current regs and will just fit over existing mounting holes

https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/flat-led-cluster--pair-/

I have fitted classiccarleds bulbs as rear/brake and sidelights. The rears are a bit better than standard and the sides are massively better. The JAL units are way too expensive for my liking and the JAL mark 1 version proves that there is only so much you can increase the lighting power by before it becomes a problem. The classiccarleds are a good compromise between price and performance.

Avoid super cheap LEDs from Ebay.

• Area Representative

the JAL mark 1 version proves that there is only so much you can increase the lighting power by before it becomes a problem.

This applies to a far greater extent to the headlamps of large German saloons and to many cars daylihgt running lights which are inappropriately bright.  I think there will need to be legislation on this soon.  As I understand it light levels are presently determined by a definition in power, which is now irrelevant with the change in technology.

Anyway, the Mk I has been superseded and the contrast between rear light and brake is now clearly noticeable.

I have tried the led bulbs and imho they are no better than standard bulbs.  Doug's lights at JAL are a completely different design concept, all the leds are facing outwards and not clustered around a bayonet style bulb with leds facing sideways.  I have JAL rear lights / indicators and no. plate light and front indicators and they are a "dramatic" improvement over the standard bulbs ... they are indeed exceptionally bright.  When it comes to safety I am afraid I can't accept the "cheap and cheery" argument.  Personally, I would look no further than JAL for first class products and first class service *thumb_up*

https://www.justaddlightness.co.uk/

My experience from following other 7s in bright sunlight:

Filament - near pointless

LED - firstly no idea on the make, but the brightness wasn't good and came from a tiny area

SVC - nice and bright but for me wouldn't look right on my car

JaL- very impressed and good change in brightness when brakes on

I have now fitted JaL. Not that expensive for a quality item. For years it has been a concern that the lights are difficult to see in bright light and now JaL have a solution. The balance between cost and performance swings to JaL for me

Had the same thought last winter when I upgraded mine.

Went the JAL Mk2 route for all rear lights, front indicators and went for Furore Products for the headlights. here

I've got 5 3/4" units and had to open the inner bezzel up slight with an emery wheel to get a nice fit.

Good clear visibility with a flat beam , the full beam is a little different as it adds additional block of light into the middle with little wasted light.