Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Driving to the SVA test

Petethediesel

My 360 is now completed and pre SVA checked. Good.

SVA is next and though I had thought to trailer it to the test, the thought of driving it appeals. So on the basis that my A plan insurance is converted from build phase to driving using the Vin number, and I have the certificate with me.

1/ I can drive to the SVA test, provided it's pre booked/I have the paperwork with me?

2/ I can drive it back if its passed?

3/ I can drive it back if its failed but not deemed dangerous?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

As Paul said, in answer to your queries, yes, yes and yes (I did all three!)

As Paul also said, take a scenic route and (when safe!) do LOTS of braking.  One of my failure points was my rears locked-up ahead of the fronts (might be worth getting a set of 1144 pads to help; which is what Caterham gave me to sort the braking prior to the retest)

In 1998 on the way to Beverly for the SVA I was 'picked up' by a marked police car. He followed me for several miles in which time I presume he checked to see what was booked in that day. He turned off and left me to it. It is a very strange experience driving a car on the road knowing that it does not have a registration number.

I hope your car passes and remember to try and enjoy the experience.

Thrashed my 7 to SVA at Chadderton in 2001 - first drive was along the M62 there . . .fail . . back . . . fix . . . there . .. notice jam on other side . . . random roads here there and everywhere (no map!) on the way back . . . all on the same day . . . never used oil ;-)

Took my Dodge Challenger to same place a few weeks ago for it's IVA - even better driving something big, bright and loud . . . and no plates ;-)

No so good locking it back in the garage for another 5 weeks waiting for the V5 . . .

• Area Representative

Took great pleasure in driving to the IVA at Gillingham & driving back to Wiltshire sans plates. On the way home there was  a police car behind me on the Hogs Back out of Guildford & plod didn't even blink!!

Pootled around the locale for seven days until I received the reg docs.

I took my previous car for the SVA at Gillingham. I drove to the DVLA local office in Maidstone to register it. Took great delight in causing a speed camera to activate on the A20 on the way home. Again sans plates!

Beware of the IVA Inspectors. They tend to interpret the regulations their own way which to me as an Aircraft Engineer defies all logic. I took a downloaded copy of the inspection manual specific to a Seven to my latest IVA. I did not want to start quoting the book at the inspector just to have it as a 'reference' for 'persuasive argument'. The outcome was that I need not have worried. The inspector was ex REME, so myself being ex RAF we hit it off. Passed & departed in about an hour!

Appreciate the encouraging words Geoff. I have met the Beverley guys and they seem a realistic bunch. Anecdotal evidence suggests they are looking to pass it, not fail it. Seems they get three hours allowed these days. I've always liked the Wingco Harry Day quote: " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". 

I've put three cars through SVA / IVA and I have to say each time was a pleasure.  Pleasant inspectors doing their best to pass the car in question, making suggestions as to what was needed (in the case of an in-correctly registered Stratos replica), rummaging through the box of Caterham supplied bits to cover stuff, or shutting the boot on a spare space-saver tyre that didn't have the right colour speed limit sticker on, to finding a blade to assist in removing an excessive window tint film (from my Texas bought Challenger).

Now getting DVLA to get the date of first registration correct is another story . . . or indeed, add the model name (no code for it apparently)

Make sure you have all your docs in the car in case you do get pulled including v5 insurance and booking for SVA etc, I saw 3 police cars en route and had no problem at all.

Re interpretation of the regs: I rang and spoke to the SVA tech line to clarify a point, took all the details and name etc...... car was inspected and failed on the point I had queried, I explained the details and who I spoke to..... it transpired he actually worked in the centre I was in, we had a 3 way conversation resulting in me being told his advise was correct but only if he was testing but another inspector may interpret the regs differently...... what a crook of sh1te !

I was not allowed to correct the fail point there on site or in the car park and had to return the next day after initially being told they were booked solid for 3 weeks !

the fail item took about 10 seconds to check and I was made to wait 2hrs 15min for paperwork....... very unprofessional.

I have to say the guy who inspected my car was pedantic beyond belief..... he even tried to fail my car for lack of rear view thro the mirrors until I pointed out he was about 6" shorter than me and he hadn't adjusted the mirrors...... lots of grunts throughout the test and comments about 'kit cars' he certainly was not a good ambassador the the inspection process at all.

Hello

It depends on the insurer as they have different policy wordings/terms. 

3/ I can drive it back if its failed but not deemed dangerous?... No, if the vehicle fails it has not been deemed safe for use on the road in it's current state. It would need to go on a trailer back.

If you are with us anyway (A-Plan) then call in and we can advise accordingly and advise the terms involving traveling to your IVA appointment. 01635 874646 - open normal hours today (until 5pm), 8.30am to 12pm Saturday and 8.30am to 2pm on New Years Eve.

Thanks
Carlie