Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX 2.0 Clutch question

SPA

I have just disassembled my 20 year old clutch.  First time since being supplied by Caterham.  I noticed that the clutch cover is retained by the 6 bolts but that there is a washer between the cover and the flywheel.  Is that normal?  The VX guidance suggests there should just be a spring washer under the head of the bolt - of which there were none on mine.

Intrigued whether the 'spacer' washer is a common thing, and whether I should change my intentions of reassembling as I found it..

Ta

I had the same with mine years ago, although I've long since changed to race clutch and lightened flywheel and forgotten the details.  I would definitely check with Caterham if you can find someone who knows about the Vx 2.0 as I'm pretty sure that you'll have problems without the washers as they space off the cover and alter the allowable travel of the pressure plate.  I seem to remember that without them the cover release fingers hit the driven plate boss.

Paul

As I recall, there were two types of Vx flywheel, one of which was known as the 'pot' type.  This is what I had and that needed the washers which, by the way, although not ideal or particularly elegant, were a perfectly good way of adjusting the correct clutch cover spacing.  I don't know whether the other, non-pot flywheel, was used on 7s and whether they also needed the spacers.  Again, I'd ask Jason at Caterham Dartford, if he's still there.

Paul

Thanks Paul

Very useful.  It's functioned for a long while so was reticent to do any different when going back together, but I will check with Caterham.  Sounds as if a function of the flywheel rather than the clutch though - so a new clutch of same spec will require same spacers..

I'll report back with any learnings.

Cheers

Fitting a spacer washer between pressure plate and flywheel used to be a work around if you were fitting a clutch plate with thicker linings, which were usually supplied by third party parts dealers and cheaper than the authentic component.  Without the spacer washers, these clutch plates wouldn't release fully.  Maybe it was a non standard thicker clutch plate?

OT - Did you manage to extract the sheared engine mounting bolts?