Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Side Intrusion Bar

fatal3rror

My new(to me) Caterham comes with a side intrusion bar as can be seen in this picture. 

K77_Side.jpg.3f29871c6d5130356aa40c714a982e94.jpg

For a car much powerful that I am used to, it's good to have the extra protection but getting in and out of the car is a pain and I would like to be able to use the full doors. Is there a way around this? I have seen some pictures like the one below which suggests there might be another version which does allow use of full doors? 

IMG_9384.jpg.b4bb5a5c826223594534cd6adf80d7ed.jpg

Suggestions on where I could get these and how easy it would be to replace the existing SIB?

I fitted the newer SIB some years ago after a local accident that unfortunately was fatal when the Caterham left the road and had side impact.  My best friend then had an off in his Fisher Fury which hit something hard at the base of the roll bar ie next to his shoulder, fortunately with nothing worse than cracked ribs & bruises. It was these accidents, rather close to home that made me look into this issue.  

These cars are undeniably vulnerable in side impacts - there is no useful side protection and its a long run of chassis tubing that can be bent inwards. It doesn't require much imagination to see the lack of protection between the squishy body bits and hard outside world. The honeycomb that Caterham put in the side is a token effort as its not particularly securely located and wont stop the side of the chassis being deflected inwards.  

The older SIB system on your first picture comprises two separate parts: a separate rear wheel intrusion bar that is supposed to stop the rear axle rotating towards your right hip, and the diagonal SIB. The newer bar is supposed to combine both of these features into a single part and allows use of the doors.  I suspect the older system is offers more protection, but there is always a compromise between additional protection and minimal inconvenience.  

You should find this helpful as it shows what I think you have at the moment.

http://www.alcester-racing-sevens.com/side_impact_bar.htm

As this site and TomB mention, the aluminium honeycomb is a gesture and works a bit like corrugated cardboard.  They put the same material around some fuel tank as it helps with puncture type intrusion and resists bending as a sheet material.  It might perform better if it was properly bonded into the sides of the chassis.

The SIB that elie boone suggests is the next best thing and I believe will allow you to use the full doors.  They do just bolt into place using existing chassis mounts and a longer bolt for the A frame which is all provided in the fastener kit.  Best check with Caterham Parts and have your chassis number handy.

The bar you've got does a better job of putting some more metal between you and whatever is trying to intrude, as it is higher up and bridges the massive opening between the windscreen and your shoulder.  Part number 77856 more or less follows the same shape as the chassis tubes behind and doesn't close the gap.

If you haven't seen this already, it might be of interest;

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=101&t=1495828

Thanks Tom and Simon - valuable inputs! I know the car is vulnerable by design but every little helps! 

@nic.day - I managed to buy the newer SIB (as per the second picture in the original picture) from eBay just now. If you are looking for the older version (the one on my car), I might have one for sale soon!