Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front wheel removal

intermanxnorton

• Area Representative

Using the cruciform does impart unwanted stress on that part of the chassis over time I would imagine that the two outboard chassis rails are slowly but microscopically brought together.

Jack on the tow eye. The car will have to be up quiet high as the nearside does naturally hang a bit lower. 

The alternative if it is one wheel coming off is to use the lower front wish bone. Place the jack, with suitable protection on the pad, under the front arm of the wishbone as close to the mounting point & the longitudinal arm as you can. This is approved by CC in the Owners Handbook. 

I made a block of wood with triangles that stick up either side of the cruciform so it can't slide off, and tge cut angled slots so it can rotate slightly as the car is raised. To my mind the biggest risk jacking here is that the jack slips off the round tube.

If the wishbone was easily damaged by careful jacking, I don't think I'd want to drive down the road with it fitted . . .

Depending on what I'm doing I'll jack on the cruciform, the towing eye, wishbone or under one of the chassis rails.

I tend to use an old welding glove as protection between jack and car- whatever car I'm jacking.

I don't think there's any issue with stressing the chassis - if the cruciform was deforming to distort that chassis, then what does uneven jacking under one side do . . . ;-)

John - your handbook illustration seems to show no cruciform in that chassis - so I guess they had to find something.

I do design lots of steel structures, frames, casting, fabrications, in my job so I have a little (dangerous) knowledge.

I've always jacked from the towing eye without issue. Yes you do need to take the offside a bit higher to get a stand under the near side rail but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

I also need to run the car onto a piece of wood or similar to be able to get a standard jack under the eye.

I agree with jacking on the cruciform. I use a hockey puck with a channel cut in it (using a wood routing blade) to securely locate the jack under a round tube while protecting the tube powder coating. Also works well for jacking under the deDion A-frame mounting point to lift the rear. I also use a piece of slit 1" heater hose on the top of the axle stands to protect the powder coating.

image1_1.jpeg.674fa8d6818a720c291dca8319ea6505.jpeg