Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Urgently wanted: Gearbox Speed Sensor

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

Caterham and Redline both out of stock.

I've looked at the sensors available from both Burton and Rally Design and they're 3-wire units (+ve, -ve, signal) whereas the Caterham sensor is only 2-wire (+ve, signal) - the 3 wire units have plastic cases.

Stu.

I used the Burton one REVFSS when mine failed and couldn't find a direct placement. You will also need to change the adapter REVT9-A as the sensor thread differs.

The replacement does have three wires power, signal and earth you will need a multimeter to determine each one.

I then cut the connector off the old sensor and soldered the power and signal of the new sensor to it then plugged the connector back in.

The earth wire was then screwed to the chassis close to the sensor. Though someone may have a better solution.

It works and is a cheaper replacement.

Nutty

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

And the result is ...

This is a bespoke part manufactured for the Caterham. As mentioned there are work-arounds based on alternative sensors with the main modification needed being the addition of an earth feed due to the Caterham o/e part only being a 2-wire sensor (+ve and pulse signal, earthed through the sensor body). Both Caterham and Redline now have stock of the o/e part.

Stu. 

• 1 month later...