Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fluids

R400CAT

Guys,

I am going to be doing a full service on my R400 Duratec, RBTBs in a couple of weeks time, as well as change the Master Cylinder.

My car has only done 6k, its a 2013.  Would you recommend changing the gear and diff oil.  It is dry sump, but I reckon I am clear on changing the oil in that.  Just not explored the diff and box yet.  Is there a quick guide on how to check the oil in the diff, or does it not require checking?

Cheers

Paul

The diff and box shouldn’t need changing but it wouldn’t do any harm and you can check for any indications of wear. 

Both jobs are pretty easy. I have a little hand pump bottle (Laser multi purpose mini pump) and a Pela oil extractor. 

Drain the box by removing the drain plug, refill using the Laser. 

Suck out the diff oil, you can get it all out near enough, and refill that with the Laser too.  

Gives you the chance to try a different oil if you want to.  I use Redline MTL in the 6 speed and Redline 75/90 GL5 in the diff in place of the original Comma products. 

I feel a small improvement in the gear changes with the Redline in the box  No  noticeable difference with the diff.   

Cheers lads

Scott, good info, and thanks.  I was thinking with the mileage they should be fine, but not sure how hard a life the car has had in that 6k, so I was going to air on the side of caution and change the fluids.  I have a sealey pump with long hose for doing boxes, so all good there, and have a mini suction pump.  Whats the best way to get to the diff hole?  

Scott, is your car the Duratec also. How do you find the gear change from cold with those fluids?  Mine currently is a bit notchy when cold, but soon as the heat has arrived, its like butter.

I have a 2015 R400D, which I built from a 210bhp kit. SV, dry sump, 6 speed, LSD. Had RBTBs fitted 2016. 

To access the diff and box I jack the car and put it on stands. I have a cut down Allen key stub on which I use a small spanner on it to remove and refit the box filler. From memory the drain is easy to reach. 

Remove the filler plug from the diff. I have a set of Laser drain plug tools, 1 fits perfectly. Feed the suction pipe up from in front of the tank, in the hole and down to the bottom of the diff. Suck out the oil, about 1.2L IIRC. 

To fill either item, you put the oil in the pump bottle feed the pipe into the filler hole and pump until it runs back out. 

Yes, I find it a little notchy when cold but fine once warm. It is, I perceive, a little less notchy and a little slicker with the Redline than the Comma. 

Edited to add; I think I removed to forward part of the boot floor to give me a good view of the diff etc. Only takes a minute or two. 

Cheers for that Scott, great help, and should make it a lot easier now.  I can handle the notchy box to be fair, as it don't last long, and I just double clutch to stop the crunch.  10 mins and its fine.   You enjoying the car?

Yes, I love it.  Have done a few TDs, where it really shines, just so different to on the road.

It’s fun for a run around here in Norfolk as long as you know your route and avoid the worst roads but you can’t push the car to any extent, it’s too quick for that. 

Have done a few shortish trips and days with the Club, they’re always fun, a really good crowd. 

The car’s been quite reliable. Twitchy Speedo fixed by adjusting sensor, failed relay on main control board (board changed under warranty), that’s about it. Other than usual buil issues but they weren’t too bad.

Is your car one with the push button switches etc?

Yep, agreed, for the road, its a quick car right enough.  I am booked onto a trackday in a few weeks, this will be my first in the Cat, so looking forward to seeing what it can do.

My speedo twitchy too lol.  That's on the list of to do's in 10 days time.  Yes, i have the carbon dash and push buttons.  The car could not really get anymore basic in that respect, but it's part and parcel, and when you drive it, it's certainly an event that brings a smile lol.

I have no idea what diff i have lol.

My diff is the BMW LSD. I’m not sure when that was introduced. The plug wasn’t overtight, but then it’s only been tightened by me, as I first filled it

Filler plug tool fits on and is then turned using a 17mm spanner, again IIRC. 

I don’t find the dash too basic, I think it’s more comprehensive than other models and the switches are of very high quality, though easily sourced. 

Btw when my main control board failed, resulting in the indicators coming on and off quite randomly, I found that it was screwed directly to the bulkhead behind the dash. 

That means that you have to move the heater, if fitted, to remove it and that it is subject to vibration and shock. 

I refitted mine using small anti vibration mountings which isolate it quite well and mean it’s now a 5 minute job to get out if necessary. 

It seems pretty significant on the cars with the array of round button switches, which are R500 and 400 Duratec, I think. It costs about £200 so I got a spare, just in case they don’t make any more!!

Thanks for the info Scott.

My Indicators play silly beggars at times also, either not working, or left one jamming on.  Thankfully it resolves itself, so haven't investigated as yet.

My car is a 2013 with LSD, so maybe same diff.

Yes they’re the right Redline oils for the 6 speed and the BMW diff. 

You’ll need two bottles of each at least. They’re US Quarts, about 0.95L each. The diff takes 1.2 l or so, the box something like you said!

i hope this is all useful, ask anything you want; I’m sure there are others with more experience than me but it sounds like our car’s are similar.