Click here if you are having website access problems ×

2005 S3 1.8k Roadsport - fuel filler hose replacement

John Cousins

Hi, I need to replace the fuel filler hose on my 2005 Roadsport. The old hose from the back of the filler cap to the tank has perished and came off easily. Any tips on fitting the replacement? It looks like I need to trim the new hose so it doesn't foul the breather pipe. I guess I need to disconnect the filler assembly so the hose can be attached? Any tips from people who have done this appreciated. 

Regards,

John

If you've got the same kind of body-coloured filler cap as on my '96 K-Series car then if you remove the cap you'll see 2 (I think) screws. Undo these and the filler neck then comes away from the rear panel, which makes everything a lot easier (possible).

You can see what I mean here.

I replaced this big filler hose on a couple of cars .... tried a generic bit of hose from a car spares shop but not ideal. Bit the bullet and bought the CC part .... had to cut a chunk out of both hoses to clear the breather spigot. Still plenty of room for the hose clamp. On one car it was a devil of a job to remove the hoses from the tank spigots as they had been adhered in place with a very strong sealant.

All done - cut a notch in the CC supplied part to allow for the breather hose. Removing the two filler assembly screws allowed the new hose to be located (with a film of WD40 and some gentle persuasion). Other fuel hoses seem fine at the moment. 

When you advise the other hoses seem fine .... especially the 4 bits of 8mm bore flexible hose in the supply and return lines between the tank and engine .... did you remove any and try to straighten them ? This is when you can find they are like dried pasta and crack the moment you try and straighten it. Very cheap and easy to replace by reusing the existing hose end fittings.

I did replace the fuel return hose to the top of the tank a few weeks back - there was a small leak which turned out to be a lose hose clip. I had purchased new fuel hose and clips so I replaced the hose and two clips but the original hose was in good condition. However I agree prevention is better than cure so I will plan to replace the fuel hoses sooner rather than later.

• Leadership Team

The short hose that runs from the pump to the fuel filter, in an arc, is usually the first to fail. It perishes and cracks on the underside which due to the arc actually minimises any leakage ... unless you disturb it! Definitely one to keep an eye on.

Stu.

When you do .... 8mm bore fuel hose to the latest spec is the stuff you want. Don't get the cheap stuff with a woven cotton cover. Carefully cut through the crimp bands at the fittings each end and use a proper fuel hose screw clamp to secure the new hose to the fitting (not a jubilee style clamp).