Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which Loctite ...?

SLR No.77

• Leadership Team

... which Loctite does everyone generally use for bolt/nut/stud locking? 270? 290? 222? 221? 243?

I'm about to buy a new bottle and RS have a bewildering choice available - my car will need to be reassembled after it's back from being painted so a general purpose Loctite will be needed, but I'm also aware that I have a manifold stud that keeps refusing to stay in! Previously I've used 222.

Stu.

I've always used Loctite 243 for general stuff @ ambient temperatures, particularly in my karting days.

For the (exhaust?) manifold stud, you'll probably want one that can withstand high temps though?

Loctite 243 has less than 50% strength at 150°C, for instance.

The two below options may be better for your manifold:

• Loctite 272 - 75% strength @ 150°C // Breakaway torque on M10 bolts of 23 Nm

hotstrengthloctite272.png.4e2281a89d46fdb045aece93002ad5dd.png
  • Loctite 278 - 90% Strength @ 150°C // Breakaway torque on M10 bolts of 42 Nm

hotstrengthloctite278.png.e571b445a48eae2f7fc6738ab035cb6f.png

Plenty of thread-locker options and details here though: http://www.loctite.co.uk/threadlocking-9150.htm

Having been working on some older cars of late and having difficulty undoing things (only snapped one bolt!) I wonder if application of a light duty thread lock would prevent corrosion between the two parts - mainly where coppa slip not appropriate.

What is the POBC opinion? (sorry for the thread highjack - no pun intended!)

Regards

Ian