Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New Sigma clutch slave cylinder

Garth

Any ideas on best place to buy the original Ford part? Have spent hours on the net trying to find an OE version and cannot - plenty of other makes - FTE, Sachs, etc but difficult to know if they are any good? popped into the local Ford dealer and he can get me one for the bargain price of £256! Caterham web site only has the Duratec version which looks very similar but is longer - and also pricey?

Hi Chris - I think that slave must be for the Mazda gearbox? It looks very different to mine - mine looks like this Duratec one https://caterhamparts.co.uk/clutch-parts/2221-clutch-bearing-assembly-ford-r400.html?search_query=clutch+slave+cylinder&results=154

I have done a little reading and it would appear that FTE is a reputable manufacturer and if their website is to be believed they make OE parts for several car companies. Their slave also seems to be consistently priced across the various web sites I looked at - unlike many of the others!

Peter is yours new? Have sent you personal mail

Cheers

Hi Garth

I've just seen this picture, you need to look at a ford mondeo clutch slave cylinder, there are 2 different sizes (circa 10mm as you’ve just discovered, one for the 2l and then there is the one for the V6).

I’ll have a look at my notes when I did the Duratec conversion as I used one of these….

Cheers

Ian

I have that one on my 2015 Duratec 6 sp car.    

The plastic one I had on my 2011 Sigma 150, which had a 5 speed Type 9 box, not a Mazda box, had part number Fomoco (Ford Motor Company) 7G917A564AC  

You can tell if you have that one if the braded hose for the clutch goes into the bellhousing at the side (near the starter motor).   The Duratec one you posted a link for has the hoses entering at the top of the bellhosuing.   Obvously if your bellhousing for you Sigma isn't a CC part all bets are off.

Hi Chris

Mine is a Sigma with a CC bellhousing, but they must have changed the slave cylinder as mine looks exactly the same as the Duratec one I posted! It turns out - as Ian says above - the Duratec and Sigma  ones look very similar but the Sigma version is slightly shorter than the Durtec version!

Thanks Ian will look at the rwd web site later.

Ok - As I said my experiance is with a 2011 Sigma Type 9 5 speed, using this bellhousing 

https://caterhamparts.co.uk/bellhousings/3660-bellhousing-die-cast-sigma.html

You can see the holes for the clutch connections pointing towards the gearbox face near the bump for the starter.   If you used the Duratec style CRB the bleed nipple would be impossible to access (although obviously you would be able to get the braided hose down the hole) because it point in the wrong direction.   The pastic CRB has the connection and bleed nipple in the correct direction for these holes.  

I have only seen these two bellhousing options, Duratec and Sigma Type 9, So I assume your Mazda box?   

When mine failed three years ago, I took the part to a Ford dealer and the parts man found a number on it. He had one in stock and it was £95. I'm pretty sure it comes from Focus/Fiesta with the 1.6 Sigm engine.

Good point DJ, chances are that the slave assembly will have 7 digits on it.  In Ford world this will be the FINIS code, and it may even come up with a Google. Gareth chances are that the part is sourced from Valeo.  A polite call to their office in Redditch and you might find they can ID the part if you send a piccy and give a couple of dimensions.  Most of this stuff is industry generic.

I think I am now getting to the bottom of this... Will try and add some pics. First pic shows the engine going in in original spec - you can just make out the connections to the slave cylinder poking out of the bell housing.

DSC_6712.JPG.e470a269150707c0967e6d08ce944ab3.JPG

It would appear that when my engine was upgraded (and unbeknown to me!) they put in a different slave and just drilled a new hole in the side of the bell housing! I think this may be down to the input shaft on the gearbox being a larger diameter and not fitting through the original slave cylinder? See hole in side of the bell housing in pic 2 and 3.thumb_IMG_0801_1024_0.jpg.8596f606eb0e7f1d63c6e637f1511c5d.jpg

thumb_IMG_0790_1024.jpg.c73d4234efe58fe3c689a5edb44d20b4.jpg

the bore of the my slave is 32mm - what is yours Chris?

Have just looked up the details on the CC Sigma slave and it has a bore of 28mm, whereas the one that came out of mine has a 32mm bore.

I am therefore assuming that they had to use a different slave because the input shaft on my gearbox was changed for a larger diameter one for some reason when BGH did that work!

Just ordered an FTE slave online so lets hope it works! £100 including delivery compared to the Ford OE part which is over £200.

That looks like the Duratec slave cil. count the splines on your clutch or on the gearbox imput shaft and it may be 23 splines where as the Sigma has less than that. so it could be that you have a Duratec spec gearbox imput shaft & clutch on a Sigma. 

When I had the engine rebuilt I also got a new BGH E8 gearbox and I recall there was some issue with the input shaft. This is why I think it ended up being Duratec size! Will check number of splines when next at the garage.

So originally you had a Sigma CRB in a Sigma Bellhousing, now you have a Duratec Type CRB in a Sigma Bellhousing which has been modified to fit that CRB.   

So my Sigma didnt have a spaced behind the Sigma CRB,  but my Duratec CRB has a spacer behind.   Are you sure your CRB is not over extending?  

As for a replacement I think your going to have to google part numbers off the CRB you have fitted.  But looks like you have done that already :) 

In case it helps....

My original (2008) R400D CSC carries the Ford P/N 94ZT-7A564-BB.  The FINIS code (not stamped on the CSC) is 1504696.

The I/D of the sleeve at the gearbox end is 30.4mm, and at the clutch end (where there is a small lipped insert) 28.5mm.

JV

Thanks JV - I am pretty sure that is the Duratec version which looks identical to the one fitted in my car, but is about 10mm longer! one on left is the Duratec version - other the old one from my car.

IMG_0792.jpg.4a30f70a53594d1de26661bdbaf4d3b5.jpg

This is how it all happened...

• my new E8 BGH gearbox was specified with a 'longer' first gear. This means they have to install a larger diameter input shaft - similar to Duratec version
  • the larger input shaft does not fit through the standard sigma clutch slave cylinder (CSC)
  • therefore when engine and gearbox work done the CSC had to be changed to one with a larger bore to accommodate the larger input shaft
  • this new CSC looks very similar to the one fitted in Duratec cars, but is shorter

My remaining concern is that having fitted the old CSC and taken various measurements it would appear that even with the old CSC the pressure plate is preloaded by about 5mm by the CSC! I have spoken to Stuart at Premier Power and he says that they can machine the bellhousing to remove some material to make the extra space - will check this out on my next trip to the garage!

Thanks for the comments guys